AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing a player for + - dvd formats and was going to give a Sony upscaling player a try (ns75) but I think, from what I've read, a CRT based RPTV could not see any improvement. My RPTV has a DVI connector and is 720P/1080i but at this point I'm leaning, reluctantly, to a standard progressive player. Will also be used with an Infocus 4805 projector as a secondary role. Can one go from an HDMI to DVI and still get upscaling, or MUST you go from HDMI to HDMI? Got 2 opposite answers at the store. I'm thinking a standard progressive scan will give me the best picture on my RPTV? Can you recommend anything? Walmart has some inexpensive players. Have BB and CC locally. Have a year old Hitachi Aspect CRT: Does GREAT on the HD channels!

Thanks

Dave

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peifj9557 /forum/post/0

Needing a player for + - dvd formats and was going to give a Sony upscaling player a try (ns75) but I think, from what I've read, a CRT based RPTV could not see any improvement. My RPTV has a DVI connector and is 720P/1080i but at this point I'm leaning, reluctantly, to a standard progressive player. Will also be used with an Infocus 4805 projector as a secondary role. Can one go from an HDMI to DVI and still get upscaling, or MUST you go from HDMI to HDMI? Got 2 opposite answers at the store. I'm thinking a standard progressive scan will give me the best picture on my RPTV? Can you recommend anything? Walmart has some inexpensive players. Have BB and CC locally. Have a year old Hitachi Aspect CRT: Does GREAT on the HD channels!

Thanks

Dave

Upscaling with HDMI->DVI: yes, no problem.

Do they make new players that are progressive without upscaling? You don't need to use the upscaling feature: setting a player to 480i or 480p means no upscaling.

-Bill

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
The later Hitachi CRT RPTVs force upscaling of all incoming 480 material - they do not display native 480p like my Sony CRT RPTV, for example. As a result, a good upscaling player will more than likely do a better job than your display. Also, I would go with the Oppo 970 over the Sony H75 - both have the same chipset, but seems better implemented on the Oppo.

My friend has last year's Hitachi CRT RPTV which has HDMI. I briefly played with it last weekend and the display's internal scaler seemed better at 1080i (vs 540p) when accepting a 480p signal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 4 year old Sony CRT RPTV (KP-61HS30) wihich only has component inputs for HD. I have used quite a few different DVD players and an HTPC. In my experience, the difference between a good 480p player (Panasonic CP-72) and a good upscaling 1080i player (Oppo 970HD) is significant enough to merit the trouble of upgrading. The Oppo isn't quite as good as the PC, but it's really close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.