AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the HDTV experience and am having problems finding the best sony dvd player to go with my set

I picked up the sony 34 kdxs955 HDTV about two weeks ago and I am thrilled with it. I live in Canada so I have to use a HD Digital box to display HD content even though the tv has the built in tuner.

I am thrilled with the HD programming when it is widescreen and the show was recorded in HD but some of the HD networks here still display in 4:3 aspect ratio and even the quality of older shows on the hd channels that was not recorded in hd seems to be lacking. Is this normal?

Anyways, can anyone help me pick a sony dvd player for this tv. upscaling and all of that is confusing to me thus far. Any suggestions regarding other accessories for this tv would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally, I would skip the Sony DVD player idea altogether. While Sony is good generally, I just have a problem recommending them considering you can get a good quality dvd player at a much cheaper price. I would recommend the Philips DVP642, which you should be able to pick up at Wal-Mart or online. Other good choices are the Samsung DVD-HD941 or the Panasonic DVD-S29S.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the same TV and have the Panasonic 77S. Great pair! Some DVD's look like true HD! I use both components and HDMI and toggle back and forth. The DVD will determine which one to use.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have the 36XS955 with the Panny S77 and it looks fantastic. Like masbama said, some DVD's look like HD.

Make sure you get a calibration disc, if you don't have one already, and start tweaking it in and recheck periodically as it breaks in. It'll be well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm using the HDMI output. I set it for 1080i for 16x9 DVDs and then switch to 480p for 4x3 material. If a disc is not marked clearly, hit the display button on your XS955 remote and it'll tell you "1080i 16x9" or "1080i 4x3".

From all the reading I've done on this site and others, these are the settings I've settled on for the S77:

Picture mode: user

Contrast: -1

Brightness: +2

Transfer: Auto 1

For my XS955:

Mode: Pro

Picture: 24

Brightness: 46

Color: 33

Hue: 0

Sharpness: 17

Color Temp: Neutral

Clearedge VM: Off

Color Axis: Monitor

This is more than you asked for, but maybe it'll be of some help.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masbama
Great pair! Some DVD's look like true HD!
And Rosanne Barr looks like Jessica Alba. Not if you have good eyes or look closely enough.

Chris

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tom: Thanks-never too much info!

Chris: Try this DVD player and TV set up per Tom with 'Starship Troopers'-Special edition and you will see what we mean!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.