AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've currently got my x1 hooked up to my xbox....and that's about it. so far i've watched the matrix reloaded adn the first 2 lord of the rings, monsters inc and bits and peices of other movies, such as some simpsons's dvds. i've been seeing a lot of what appear to be interlacing issues. the simpson's was full of it, every scene had several, sometimes one a second or more. during the matrix reloaded i noticed 1, but it was minor and i shrugged it off. however, while watching the second lord of the rings, i noticed them far too often, probably a dozen times. i realize my setup is not the best, however i had heard that hte x1's deinterlacing was top notch, so i'm very surprised by this. i am assuming the xbox is the weak link in the chain, but i'm wondering how much i'd have to spend on a new dvd player to notice improvment. would an interlaced dvd player with a better mpeg decoder help? or would it take a full dcdi progressive dvd player? or would a lesser progressive dvd player benefit enough from the tagged dvds to display better? my budget is pretty low, and for it to be worth it to me a new dvd player would have to completely eliminate the effects.

ps. in the lord of the rings i noticed them mostly when gollum was in the scene. when he is first seen crawling down toward frodo and sam i saw it on his arm, and later in the forbidden pool i saw them on him. these are the areas i remember most because it was very distracting and annoying to me. the other members of my family haven't the slightest clue what i'm talking about even after seeing the simpson's dvd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DVD players are so cheap now. I bought one with progressive or interlaced outputs for under US$100.

Connect it via component to SVideo adapter for best quality. The VGA input does't use the Faroudja DCDi processing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What exactly are you seeing? I use a 3 year old Toshiba non-progressive DVD player. The only time I ever notice anything is during a slow vertical pan in a movie. When this happens, thin horizontal details shimmer during the pan.

When I first got the X1, I used a long/cheap s-video cable to hook it up and I saw moving patterns and other anomalies everywhere. I almost returned it. Try a different cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just need to get this right?? :confused:

I have a Pioneer DV 535 player (NON-progressive scan) and a X1 projector and it is connected through a SVideo cable now. But If I take the RGB output from the player and connect it to the RGB-SVideo connector that came with the player, then I will use the build in line-doubler in the Infocus X1? Do I need to change something in the projectors setup menu or ??

If the case is a much better picture (is that the case???), well, then I am going to the store tomorrow to buy new cables :)

Also does the line doubler only work with NTSC movies or also PAL (Im located in Denmark, Europe --- PAL country), however 90 % of my collection is NTSC movies and my palyer has a true NTSC out

Thanx in advance :)

CLAUS

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
claus64,

If your DVD player is non-progressive and connected thru S-video then you are already using the X1's Faroudja deinterlacer (line-doubler). If you use the component-to-Svideo adapter you will still be using the X1's Faroudja. I wouldn't say it would be a big improvement, but you may see some improvement in the color sharpness with the component-to-Svideo adapter.

Note that when I say component I am talking about Y/Pb/Pr, not RGB. Is your player outputting component? or RGB? If it's an SCART thing, I'm not really familiar with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
-Technut, Thank you very much.

It is a scart connevtion and I have to be honest, I have no idea if it is RGB or Y/Pb/Pr. Will check into that tomorrow. But in the instructionbook it says RGB out (and on the front of the player) and when I go into the setup menu I can choose Composit out, SVideo out and RGB out (from the sart connector)

I have the specifications for the pins on the 21 legged scart connector. Maybe you can see something out of that? THey are as follows:

Leg 1. Audio 2/Right out

Leg 2. Audio 1/Left out

Leg 4. GND

Leg 7. B out

Leg 8. Status

Leg 11. G out

Leg 15. R or C out

Leg 17 GND

Leg 19. Video out or Y out

Leg 21. Ground.

The rest is unused which is quite normal on DVD players because the scart connector supports both in/out signals (for VCR´s and DVD/HDD recorders for example)

Eitherway. What kind of cabeling would you recommend with my player/projector?

Thank you so much for your help.

Claus

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oops, the formatting didn't work, here's the old post again, hopefully with the formatting fixed, moderators you can delete the older post, thanks!:

well my microsoft Xbox is hooked up to the x1 via component going into the svideo adapter. so the internal deinterlacing is being used, however i see errors in the image, and i watched the second matrix again today and i saw them all over the place. it's like...difficult to describe i see horizontal lines...i'll try to illustrate it in text

that's the best i can describe it. the lines are shifted over evry other line, such that if you could like hold the pixels and push them back together, it would create a nice image. i'm thinking maybe it's just the horrible output of the xbox, i read on the x1 faq that dvd quality really was bad, and that it is, it's horrible though my friends and family still don't notice it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any sub 100 dollar dvd player that will give me a better picture, either progressive or just give a good enough interlaced picture for the dcdi in the x1 to handle it.

ok, i'll just make a crudedrawing of it, here it is on gollum. pretend the circled part of his arm was moving (i generally see it on moving objects)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm gonna ask the guys in the dvd players forum what it is i'm seeing so i can figure out how to get it fixed, anyone how knows in here could just reply either place, and i'm still open to dvd player recommendations.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think a cheap interlaced dvd player (100 bucks) connected via s-video to component looks alot better than a cheap progressive player( 150 or less) hooked up to the component to vga adapter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.