AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Once again, I'm hoping to get some help from you folks.

Watching a ripped DVD (Mac-the-Ripper v. 3.0 (YOSHI) build 14), Mac OS 10.5.6, and:

video & audio freezes

DVDPlayer continues to count as if nothing is wrong

hit: PAUSE, error "-69889" shows up.

Data stored on new 1GB HD on a Quicksilver, airporting to a Mac mini. Post problem trouble-shooting I tried:

-directly connecting ethernet connection Quicksilvermini

-DVD player directly on Quicksilver

-copied data to another Quicksilver HD

-copied data to a Firewire external drive, then Firewire direct to mini

I'm assuming it's bad data since I got the same exact same symptoms for all cases, but if there's any other possibility because it also happened during trouble-shooting on another rip that worked before
, but not all rips.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Well, before you tried all that, what happened when you played it back with VLC?

My guess is you're not getting good rips: either you're unsure how to do it, or you're working with an older version of MTR that can't handle some of the newest tricky discs.

Which dvd is it? And do you remember which movies didn't work before?

Did you do a full disk rip or movie-only with MTR?

After the rip, did you look at the VIDEO_TS with DTOX to see if there are any zero cells?

Quote:
Mac-the-Ripper v. 3.0 (YOSHI) build 14

3.0 R14M is the latest MTR I have, it's a Universal binary and works fine on a PPC G4 that I have running 10.5.6.

Not sure what Yoshi means, but it might mean you're using an older version. Time to update (or donate if the version you're using was not properly obtained.)

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, chefklc. See answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15456142

Well, before you tried all that, what happened when you played it back with VLC?
Doh! I thought about doing that but didn't because of the repeatable error. I'll do that asap.

My guess is you're not getting good rips: either you're unsure how to do it, or you're working with an older version of MTR that can't handle some of the newest tricky discs.Newest version, donated, not many problems previously

Which dvd is it? And do you remember which movies didn't work before?
It's a copy of 24 Season 2, disc 4 episodes 2 & 3 Episodes 1 & 4 play perfectly. Black Adder season 1 episode 2 worked previously but not on replay. Other episodes seem to play OK

Did you do a full disk rip or movie-only with MTR?Full disc on any TV program DVD

After the rip, did you look at the VIDEO_TS with DTOX to see if there are any zero cells? Thanks for that! I've never (or don't remeber
) hearing of DTOX before

3.0 R14M is the latest MTR I have, it's a Universal binary and works fine on a PPC G4 that I have running 10.5.6. yep, my Quicksilver is G4, my mini is Intel and my MBP Pro too. Same symptoms on all three

Not sure what Yoshi means, but it might mean you're using an older version. Time to update (or donate if the version you're using was not properly obtained.)Definitely donated, legitimate copy. Thought it was most current. If you Command-I yours, it doesn't have "(YOSHI)" listed between the version and the build numbers???

Thanks very much!

John

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15456142

Well, before you tried all that, what happened when you played it back with VLC?--snip--

Hi again,

Instead of freezing, VLC just goes black and then the view window closes.
BTW: it occurs about 35-minutes into the flick, same point each time.

--and just so you know, I am not building a library of TV shows. I just rent them and copy them to be able to view at my leisure, then I discard the data copy (24 Season 1 and Season 2 discs 1->3 are already trashed securely). I believe in paying for software licenses, media, and do not give out copies to friends, relatives, or anyone else. In fact, once I've seen a purchased DVD enough and don't care to see it again, I give them to the local library. I only own LoTR & Star Wars in SD, and a few HD-DVDs & BDs that I want to keep.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I've only recorded "24" in high def, so I don't remember if there was anything special about their dvds...

But a bit of advice, after every rip, immediately check playback with Apple dvdplayer, that reveals if you did actually get a good rip or if there's something hiding, which might trip you up down the line.

In the meantime, one of the nice things of DTOX (DVD2OneX) is the "movie only copy or join multiple movie title" command which, after a full disc MTR rip, lets you look at the cell structure of each title--a title in this case being a single episode--to find zero cells--which show up as 0 duration and 0 MB in size and which could be responsible for the behavior you're seeing. (If you see the same behavior in different software players, you know the problem is the rip itself.) MTR leaves zero cells in the rip, DTOX allows you to uncheck them and reprocess. I think DTOX compresses better than Popcorn/Toast, and has a lot of other nice features, so you just might find it a valuable tool.

I'd suggest RipIt, though, as good insurance--it's much less expensive than DTOX, more actively supported, and at $18 might be the best value going. It easily handled some recent disks which MTR choked on--its main disadvantage is that it does full disc only, in your case though, it might be all you need as backup to MTR.

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15457763

I've only recorded "24" in high def, so I don't remember if there was anything special about their dvds...

But a bit of advice, after every rip, immediately check playback with Apple dvdplayer, that reveals if you did actually get a good rip or if there's something hiding, which might trip you up down the line.

In the meantime, one of the nice things of DTOX (DVD2OneX) is the "movie only copy or join multiple movie title" command which, after a full disc MTR rip, lets you look at the cell structure of each title--a title in this case being a single episode--to find zero cells--which show up as 0 duration and 0 MB in size and which could be responsible for the behavior you're seeing. (If you see the same behavior in different software players, you know the problem is the rip itself.) MTR leaves zero cells in the rip, DTOX allows you to uncheck them and reprocess. I think DTOX compresses better than Popcorn/Toast, and has a lot of other nice features, so you just might find it a valuable tool.

I'd suggest RipIt, though, as good insurance--it's much less expensive than DTOX, more actively supported, and at $18 might be the best value going. It easily handled some recent disks which MTR choked on--its main disadvantage is that it does full disc only, in your case though, it might be all you need as backup to MTR.

Thanks again. I'll look into RipIt (since I'm mostly not archiving, it's probably the way to go) after my wife's sabbatical is over (Wednesday). She's not too hot about me spending time "playing" with my computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts