AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my DVD player, or do all DVD players require you to select composite or component output?

If all of them do, how do you set up your entertainment center and house distribution? Do you give up better quality to get the video distributed throughout the house?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Toshiba DVD players have a feature they call "parallel output" which means that they send a signal to each output simultaneously with no need to switch. This might facilitate sharing a DVD player between multiple rooms and multiple displays. I'm guessing other manufacturers have this feature as well, but I'm most familiar with the Toshibas. With DVD players so cheap these days, there doesn't seem to be much need for sending their output all over your house. You'd save time, inconvenience, and perhaps even money by buying separate players.

You will, of course, see increased signal degradation/interference on longer cable runs, so yes, that is a sacrifice in quality.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yeah, that kind of quality loos is expected.

My question was that my Panasonic looked horrible when I switched from one type to another. You have to (in the menu) tell the DVD player if you are using component or composite appropriately.

As I will probably be buying an HDTV next month, it kinda bummed me out to think that I couldn't use the best quality output for the main TV, just becuase I wanted to see the signal on TVs that required the lower quality.

But it sounds like I should get a new DVD player that supports this "parallel output".

So my Panasonic does not support it, and Toshibas do support it.

Anyone else know about the other brands?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.