AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try this thread again for I think I confused people with my last one on this issue since its hard to explain.At times when I'm watching input 4 with sd cable through my VCR I will switch over to input 2 to turn on my DVD player and it doesnt load up properly.Once a green stripe was all that showed up on screen and in that little stripe I saw the Reading display that the Panny xp50 displays on screen as it starts.At other times only an orange stripe appeared and once just a blue stripe showed up.It was as if only one of the three components was working.On all occasions I shut everything off and restarted the plasma and DVD player and everything was normal.

Another weird part of this is when I start my DVD player in input 2 but have another input on screen and don't watch the player load up on screen and then switch over to input 2 the DVD display is on screen and it is fine.

I checked out my monster component cable which is three years old and always worked fine and everything was tight into the BNC and the xp-50 inputs.Since the player works fine once its loaded up I don't think its the player.The only thing I can figure it has something to do with the DVD player being in the standby mode when I shut it off and the Plasma being in the same mode.Maybe it has something to do with the VCR being on after I switch to input 2 to put on the DVD player and that causes a power conflict with the plasma?My plasma and DVD are plugged into different surge protectors and different outlets so i don't think electrical power is the problem

Since starting the DVD player and plasma together through my macro button on my universal remote seems to avoid the problem I'm not going to worry about this. Anyone have the answer to this puzzle? Thanks for the help Matt

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess Ive really stumped the forum on this one or no one knows what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all thanks for the reply since no one wants to bite on this one.I don't think so but it will be the first thing i check out.Its a crazy problem since its not predictable and didnt happen at all yesterday.I would just like to be able to figure out why its happening since using my macro and not having the DVD player load up on screen seems to keep it from happening.

thanks Matt

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm just guessing, but...

In addition to the auto input switching, maybe you could try some of the other settings in the setup? Like changing "Color System" from "Auto" to "NTSC".

Good luck,

John Flegert

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks John but thats just what i did and am using the NTSC setting.I keep thinking its some kind of power up conflict based on both plasma and DVD player being in stand by modes or maybe a conflict from using one input then trying to turn on something connected to the other input without switching off first inputs device.I'm also just guessing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mattg3

I'm stumped. I have an XP50 and a 503CMX. The XP50 is directly connected via input2 to the panel. I've not observed the problem you describe. Also, I have the auto-input-switching feature enabled for input 1 and input 2; that is, if input 1 sees a signal the plasma will automatically switch to input 1 from 2, even if input 2 is already active. Finally, I use both interlaced and progressive depending on the source material.

Have you changed the configuration of the DVD player or plasma to something other than this? I'm not sure I helped much, but if I can do an experiment for you, let me know. Good luck troubleshooting...

-driver8

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I have the DVD player set to progressive and auto 2 and I don't have the auto input enabled(maybe I should).Can you think of any other settings i should tinker with?thanks for your help Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm using Auto1 for progressive mode on the DVD player.

Other than that you might try testing with an S-video cable. I currently use component cables that are RCA/BNC, but a while back I was having an image problem (actually this problem was the reason I bought the XP50.) My problem was unrelated to yours, but while trouble shooting, I tried out S-Video and it did behave differently. Ultimately my issue was the DVD player seemed to be sending a crappy sync signal (it's a long story...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.