Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know there is a 29 page upconverting DVD thread, but it's hard to follow. I'm looking for an upconverting DVD player that has HDMI output. I'll be using a BenQ PE7700 front projector on a 106" screen. Trying to keep everything HDMI as I've read that there CAN be issues with DVI/HDMI mixing. Inputs are greatly appreciated... I'll be purchasing all equipment very soon. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
You really should give a price range and whether you're interested in SACD/DVD-A. In the $200-$300 range, I'd recommend the Panny S77 or S97. Up a large notch is the Pioneer 59ai, Denon 3910, and Onkyo SP1000. At the top of the heap is the Denon 5910.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
To avoid possible MB problem with your projector, just stay away from any Faroudja based player.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to keep it under $300 and I don't care about SACD or DVD-A at all. Just looking for a good movie player.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I second the recommendation of Panny S77 or S97. I doubt MB is a big problem with BenQ 7700 except on rare tittles (blotchiness on dark scenes). You will benefit more from Faroudja (especially with TV series or video-based titles) than be hurt from it with Macroblocking which affect some displays worse than others.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There seems to be an overscan issue between the S97 and the BenQ... evidently, it creates a black box within the picture when outputting 720p. I'll look into it more, but what I've found so far is discouraging... the S97 seems like an otherwise great player.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
You will benefit more from Faroudja (especially with TV series or video-based titles) than be hurt from it with Macroblocking which affect some displays worse than others.
I'm always amused that I've never seen any specific display mentioned. One wonders if it's all of them or none of them.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'd recommend using feeding it a good 480i signal, and let the Benq do the deinterlacing and scaling using its own faroudja processing (which seems to be undocumented).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I love the S97S with my Z2 and I am using a 25ft HDMI-DVI cable as my Z2 does not have HDMI, and there is no issues. I am with Todd above on his comment, when using 720p I get a small black boarder all around the picture perimeter, so it must affect other projectors as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.