AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we can all come up with numerous features that can be added and deleted from current DVD player capabilities. Here's a chance to do that in this thread. I will email several hardware and software manufacturers with a link to this thread.

My gripe... err, suggestion for the day is audio selection. Why must we have to either select the audio track from the menu or toggle between audio tracks in order to get to the one we want?

Since the next format is a few years away and DVD players will still be made for a while longer, I'd like to see a initial setup menu that will program the DVD player to select the audio track that I want to be used when I put in a DVD. Of course, since not all audio formats are offerred on every DVD, there should be a hierarchy in that selection.

For instance, I'd choose for the DVD player to select the track to access in the following order: DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround/DD 2.0, etc. If a particular DVD doesn't have DTS, then the player would select the next format on the list -- Dolby Digital -- and so on.

Comments? Suggestions? Adds? Deletes?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Joe,

Andrew Chilvers (Mr. Theatertek) has implemented this exact function into the latest patch of Theatertek. I have never personally used it because I use the 'movie start' feature (awesome). If I remember correctly though, this feature is not foolproof. I think Andrew explained the limitations due to variance across DVDs. You might want to take a trip over to the TT forum and either look for the thread or ask Andrew to further explain the issue.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Instead of bell and whistle features, I think the DVD manufacturers need to go back and re-design their players to at least match (or exceed) the quality of the players from 1-2 years ago! The excellent Panasonic RP82( and similar XP30/XP50) models were discontinued last year and replaced by much inferior cheaper models, there are no current equivalents from any manufacturer now at reasonable price under $300. Even new models from Denon (DVD-910,DVD-1200) that use a newer Faroudja chip are inferior and have softer image plus a color flicker bug. Why can't they make 'em like they used to! You have to buy a used model on EBAY now to get a good one.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Come to think of it, if I was wishing for things on a DVD player, I would wish for the Theatertek 'movie start' feature. Would require some storage mechanism. Although DVD renters would have less need for such a feature, DVD buyers would absolutely love it.

Summary:

The first time you play a DVD you

1) choose aspect ratio - widescreen/full screen (if necessary)

2) Choose the audio option you want

3) Tweak any color/gamma/brightness/etc settings (if necessary)

4) Tweak the aspect ratio - zoom/stretch/shrink/etc (if necessary)

5) Press play

6) Suffer through the sound ads (THX/DTS), coming attractions, warnings, etc.

7) When the movie starts, press 'set movie start'

The next time the DVD is inserted, the exact aspect ratio and audio option will automatically be chosen, the correct settings automatically applied, and the DVD starts playing at the movie's start position (bypassing all menus, warnings, ads and attractions). And all of this happens on a DVD-by-DVD basis, ie, each DVD is given its own set of instructions.

It's so convenient that the first thing that happens to a new DVD in my house is that it gets 'set-up' even if it won't get played for days.

Of course the caveat is that I've never owned a DVD player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.