AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I understand the different aspect ratio's of DVD's.

2.35:1 - Theatrical widescreen

1.78:1 - Standard 16 x 9 widescreen

4:3 - Traditional TV

plus other variants.

What I want to know is, if there is a DVD player that does an "enhanced" widescreen mode that will eliminate the black bars on a 16 x 9 display for 2.35:1 DVD's. My buddy has "enhanced" widescreen mode on his infocus projector that basically does a zoom and crop. Viola, no irritating black bars. Since I don't have that at my display level, I'm hoping there is a solution at the player level. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Zooming your picture using the DVD zoom function, not only gets rid of the annoying black bars, but negates the picture quality. Your picture becomes even more cropped, losing even more detail than was originally intended, I for one would not advocate doing this. Subjectively, if you feel the bars are too annoying then find a dvd player that as a zoom function. I am sure however, that afterwhile you will realise the zoom function is not worth using if it is going to compromise your wonderful picture even more.

Mark

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rob - Well said, I could have not put it better myself.

Mark

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SmithMK
Zooming your picture using the DVD zoom function, not only gets rid of the annoying black bars, but negates the picture quality. Your picture becomes even more cropped, losing even more detail than was originally intended, I for one would not advocate doing this. Subjectively, if you feel the bars are too annoying then find a dvd player that as a zoom function. I am sure however, that afterwhile you will realise the zoom function is not worth using if it is going to compromise your wonderful picture even more.

Mark
The zoom feature available in some players does not properly scale the image. It is just a digital artifact and I agree the image is terrible. I have yet to see a DVD that will provide different ratio modes and get rid of the black bars.

For those that like it try to watch The King and I, I for once cannot, half the screen is taken by the black bars :(

One alternative is to change your DVD player to interlaced and use the TV to scale the image (they have something similar to the zoom function on DVDs but usually it looks better).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Problem with using the zoom function on your TV, is that it still makes the picture look bad, ok not as bad as the Zoom on some DVD players, but I for one can't see why folks don't live with the black bars, and enjoy the movie the way it was intended. Mind you, then again, I wish TVs could be made more wider than 16:9, and just black the sides rather than the top and bottom. Well that is my 50c worth for today..

Mark

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Sorry if this sounds cynical, but if you really dont like black bars, dont get a widescreen TV and only buy full screen or pan&scan dvd's.

They make those versions for the unenlightened masses. ;-)

I agree that 16:9 is not perfect but it's a huge improvement over 4:3 for letterboxed or widescreen.

It's taken nearly 20 years of development and multiple media formats to enjoy uncropped movies as shown in the theater. Why anyone would prefer to intentionally crop it is beyond me. I have friends who recently intentionally bought a full screen RPTV and intentionally buy full screen DVD's to fill the screen, and never cared that they are watching basterdized versions. :-o

I know I've gone through 3 versions of the Star Wars movies (and many others) on laserdisc to go from full screen to the best widescreen versions with the best sound available at the time. And I was watching on a 4:3 35 incher! Ill probably spring for Lucas's DVD versions when they eventually come out.

Like he said: relax, sit back and enjoy the image between the bars. Try one of the older superwide films like Ben Hur and start zooming it away; you'll eventually appreciate the ability to see the whole movie on your WS!

It does take some time to get used to the bars, but IMO it's well worth it!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I despise all things 4:3, ok old movie classics are usually shot in this format, and I buy them aplenty but I just use the wide on the TV, fill up the screen and Bob's your uncle. Ok, not the smartest thing to do, but hey I like it. :)

Mark

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
4:3 is so Passe!!

I use "natural wide" for all normal broadcasts, even newscasts. The gray sidebars on the sides look "unnatural". The only 4:3 DVD I'd intentionally buy is an older classic shot that way or something ONLY available in that aspect ratio. The one thing Ive finally got the hang of, is the difference between anamorphically enhanced and just letterboxed WS. TO start with, I just flipped thru the modes to find the one that showed the most movie without the people being squeezed. It took awhile to figure out which mode is best for each aspect ratio and type. One thing that could be improved is descriptions of the modes in the manuals. Each mfg has their own naming convention and descriptions. Pioneer at least doesnt state which aspect ratios each one is designed for. I guess they figure the user will figure it out thru trial&error.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The Metreon in San Francisco may well be the top money grossing multiplex in the nation, but when I was there watching Return of the King, I was so put off by the dark curtains on all four sides of the screen that I couldn't enjoy the movie... to say nothing of the vast sea of dark seatbacks and heads of people in front of me. Why can't they make movies that occupy my entire sense of vision so I don't get distracted so much??? ;) :)

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Thank you to all who have replied. I'm overwhelmed with the generosity of your posts.

I've tried gettin use to those silly black bars on 2.35:1 DVD's but simply can't. My homemade parkland plastic 96" 16x9 diagonal projector screen is not being put to full use, and it bugs me (and aren't all videophiles easily bugged :)

csv96 - An extra thanks to you. I'll give the Panasonic DVD-S55S player a try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
2.35:1 - Theatrical widescreen

1.78:1 - Standard 16 x 9 widescreen

4:3 - Traditional TV

plus other variants.
This is not entirely true. Movies are shown theatrically in both 2.35:1 and 1.85:1, which is approximately 16:9.

Calling the black bars "silly" is ignorant. They are there for a very good reason. I consider it silly to buy a 96" screen and a projector to watch cropped movies. Isn't the point of home theater to recreate the theatrical experience in the home?

Since you have a screen, you could always make moveable curtains similar to what movie theaters have. You can then cover up your black bars with the curtains.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by msulinski

Calling the black bars "silly" is ignorant. They are there for a very good reason. I consider it silly to buy a 96" screen and a projector to watch cropped movies. Isn't the point of home theater to recreate the theatrical experience in the home?

Since you have a screen, you could always make moveable curtains similar to what movie theaters have. You can then cover up your black bars with the curtains. [/b]
I consider the black bars a waste of space, but if you like them, then you can have them :) The point of MY home theater is to watch movies on a huge freakin' screen. Those black bars don't allow me to enjoy certain movies on my ENTIRE screen.

I have thought about movable curtains, but instead of shrinking my screen vertically, I would rather zoom & crop to utilize the screen space I already have. Call me silly, but I like this approach more.

Although, I do appreciate your post and suggestion of the curtains.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckerin
I consider the black bars a waste of space
Quote:

I would rather zoom & crop
Talk about wasted space..........

Check out the "Why buy widescreen" link in my sig.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
I consider the black bars a waste of space, but if you like them, then you can have them :) The point of MY home theater is to watch movies on a huge freakin' screen. Those black bars don't allow me to enjoy certain movies on my ENTIRE screen.
They are not a waste of space. They are there so that you can see the whole movie. With a screen as big as yours, a 2.35:1 movie with black bars should still be huge. I understand you want the movies to fill your screen, but don't you want to see all of the movie?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Vlad_Dracule,

Thanks for the link. I just gave it a glance over, but I think you might be misinterpeting my original question. I want to crop 2.35:1 DVD's to 1.78:1, not widescreen (whatever format) to 4:3 like the examples in your link.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
... The point of MY home theater is to watch movies on a huge freakin' screen. ...
What size screen are you using? Maybe you should get a bigger screen? :)

Regards,

John Flegert

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by msulinski
They are not a waste of space. They are there so that you can see the whole movie. With a screen as big as yours, a 2.35:1 movie with black bars should still be huge. I understand you want the movies to fill your screen, but don't you want to see all of the movie?
Nope, I would rather have my whole screen filled :)

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.