AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new DVD Player and want to see if I can get a better pic on my Pioneer Elite HDTV.

From what I have researched so far the Zenith DVB-318 has the ability to upscale to 1080i which my TV supports. DVDs look pretty damn good on the TV already and after some thought I'm thinking that the TV itself is "upscaling" the signal to 1080i.

So the question is if I were to get a DVD Player that can upscale, am I going to see a much better picture, given that I think my TV is already upscaling the signal.

Newbie here in need of some education.

Any support is greatly appreciated.

BoomerangThree

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The TV is a Pioneer Elite Pro-520HD and I don't believe it has a scaler. It has a mode function that I believe expands the picture, i.e. full, cinema, zoom, screen, but I don't think this is scalling.

So at this point, unless someone can confirm my suspiscions, the only scaler would be in the DVD Player.

This is after talking with a couple people since my 1st post.

1) So, the Zenith should provide a "much" better picture from the DVD Player when it's sending out 1080i???

2) Also, someone mentioned the Samsung DVD-HD850 as another upscaling DVD player. Will this provide upscaling on component video like the early generation Zenith DVB-318 or will I have to go DVI on it.

Thanks a lot for the reply and support.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerangThree
The TV is a Pioneer Elite Pro-520HD and I don't believe it has a scaler. It has a mode function that I believe expands the picture, i.e. full, cinema, zoom, screen, but I don't think this is scalling.

So at this point, unless someone can confirm my suspiscions, the only scaler would be in the DVD Player.

This is after talking with a couple people since my 1st post.

1) So, the Zenith should provide a "much" better picture from the DVD Player when it's sending out 1080i???

2) Also, someone mentioned the Samsung DVD-HD850 as another upscaling DVD player. Will this provide upscaling on component video like the early generation Zenith DVB-318 or will I have to go DVI on it.

Thanks a lot for the reply and support.
Are you feeding the TV 480i or 480p from the DVD player?

AIUI most CRT TVs display 1080/60i and 480/60p natively (480p has the same line rate as 960i - very close to 1080i) - but can't display 480i natively (as this would require a much lower line rate) If you are feeding 480p then your TV will probably not scale, and just display the 480p directly.

I don't know if HD sets scale 480i inputs to 1080i or de-interlace to 480p when fed 480i...

As for upscaled analogue component - in theory no official DVD player should output analogue video at anything better than 480p - anything upscaled above this should be DVI+HDCP or HDMI only - though as you mention there are exceptions. (Though in theory they are in breach of DVD Forum rules?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I will be upscaling via component - 1080i. So for discussion purposes, let's assume that the Pioneer doesn't upscale, merely zooms,

Can anyone verify this. I have looked at the manual, but can't see anything that resembles upscaling except for the ability to change the mode of the display.

The Pioneer PRO-520HD supports what is called Screen Mode, so I'm looking for someone to educate me as to wether or not this is "upscaling". Any takers that can help this poor soul.

1) The Pioneer will change the screen to "Natrual Wide", "Cinema Wide", "Zoom", "Full", and "4:3 Normal", but as I've stated I need to know if this is actually upscaling.

2) If so, then hooking up a DVD Player that upscales also wouldn't do that much good???

Been a good education so far, thanks everyone...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
According to the Pioneer press release from September 2001, your set incorporates "advanced features such as 2:3 pulldown film detection and NTSC to 480 progressive conversion. This newly enhanced circuit, Pioneer's PureCinemaIIâ„¢ uses progressive conversion to boost the NTSC picture quality from sources such as DVD, LaserDisc, and satellite."

This would mean that it is scaling 480i to 480p. 480p signals are displayed at 480p.

If your DVDs "look pretty damn good" already, you may not see much improvement with upscaling, and many upscaling players come with problems of their own. Remember, the DVD only has 480 lines of resolution, you're seeing them delivered progressively, and you're happy with the picture. You may want to give upscaling a try, but don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are right jpco. Thanks for the feedback.

but, wouldn't I see a relatively good increase in pic quality going from 480p to 1080i? Does this make sense?

Smoother lines, a bit brighter perhaps, sharper pic???

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerangThree
I think you are right jpco. Thanks for the feedback.

but, wouldn't I see a relatively good increase in pic quality going from 480p to 1080i? Does this make sense?

Smoother lines, a bit brighter perhaps, sharper pic???
You may find it smoother and sharper, but I'd be the wrong person to advise you on this. My experiences with the newer Faroudja based players (LG, Panny) have given me lip sync issues and macroblock enhancement, which elevates MPEG artifacts with certain displays. The trade-offs were not worth the possible improved picture quality.

The only players that upconvert through component (I think that's what you're seeking) are some of the Samsungs (841/850/950 with a remote hack) and the LG 318 (Faroudja). If you have a local store with a good return policy, you might want to give them a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.