AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thanks to AverageJoe for answering my post and to all forum members for this service. His answer leads to this question. Would a HTPC (AMD 2100cpu & ATI 9700pro video card) be as good or better than a DVD player to view DVD's on a HLN507 dlp. I have the computer and am considering buying the sammy and DVD player

·
Registered
12 Posts
DB

I got a much better picture using an HTPC, coincidentally, with the same video chip in it that you're talking about. I compared at the store with PC, and high end Sony DVD, and there was no comparison, not only in clarity and colors, but the PC reduces video artifacts dramatically. So at home, I went to the PC. Also, you'll find the DVD player software, in general, much more flexible for adjusting color, etc. And now you can surf the web on your TV.

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
D_B,

Take a look over at the HTPC forum. There are thousands of posts about DVD software and using a PC to play DVDs on a big screen TV.

I'm using ZoomPlayer (free) and the $15 Sonic Cineplayer codecs to play DVDs on my 60" GWII. It looks awsome! Don't know how it would look with a progressive scan DVD player since I never bought one. The downside of using a PC for DVD playback is that it's not exactly wife-friendly. Also, you're bound to run into issues like stutter of video and/or audio (mine has the occasional video micro stutter, probably because it's dropping a frame, doesn't bother me but may drive you batty). Hardware DVD players don't have these problems.

-Rob-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.