AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Is a DVD player with a built-in 6 channel receiver enough to receive Dolby and DTS 5.1 sound output from an LCD TV is the DVD player supports both? I'll be using the LCD TV's speakers (therefore no separate amplifier).

Sean

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't think your question makes much sense....

Are you wanting to play DTS though your TV speakers???? And are you saying your DVD player has both a decoder (DTS and Dolby digital) as well as an amplifier built-in?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter what sound stream (DTS, Dolby), you use since your TV speakers are going to only be stereo and probably fairly limited in quality. In fact, you're probably better off selecting Dolby Digital 2.0 for sound.

If you provide more details about what you're trying to accomplish, than maybe I can help more.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if it's possible to get DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital sound through a TV's speakers using a DVD player with a receiver built in, but without an amplifier. I'm new to these types of sound setups.

Basicially my question is do you need all 3 (receiver, amplifier, and external speakers) to be able to get DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital sound from DVDs?

Sean

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, the short answer is no you cannot get Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS through your TV speakers. You can get sound though.

You can play the sound signal through your TV speakers, but it will be output as PCM (or analog sound).

The very best you may be able to do (if you DVD player has a built in decoder and 6 chanel output) is use your TV's left and right speakers for Dolby Digital 2.0.

My suggestion is buy a cheap home theater in a box setup and begin enjoying 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unless your TV has 5.1 distinct speakers, then you cannot get 5.1 DD or DTS. (It would be hard for your TV to have 6 speakers surrounding you.) The other part of your question that I think you may have been confused about is a receiver and amp. Most receivers are a combination of pre-amp, amp, and tuner. So if you have a receiver, you are ok. Sounds like you may just need some speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.