Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So far, here's the list of modifiable players for top flight SDI output - to your scaler or HTPC:

Denon DVD-3300 DVD player

Kenwood 5900M

Panasonic DVD-RP56

Panasonic DVD-RP91

Panasonic DVD-A7

Pioneer DV-444

Pioneer DV-545

Pioneer DV-737 (a.k.a. the Vigatec DVD MAX)

Pioneer DV-939

Technics DVD-A10 DVD player

Which of these has the best Audio stages?

Otherwise, as SDI bypasses everything their video output should be even Stevens. :)

Thanks for your advice on those to explore and those to eliminate outright!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
DVD 3300

1) Audio only mode

2)Good 2 channel audio

3)DVD audio

4)SDI upgradeable by Immersive

5)Price at about 650 USD at present

6)Good build quality

7)Lacks progressive scan and AR control present on RP91, but should not be an issue feeding 480i to a Scaler with deinterlacing and AR functionality.

8)Apparently straight forward to perform an SDI upgrade.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your wholehearted endorsement of this player.

From what you are saying, its Audio output is top notch, both the digital and the analogue audio. NICE indeed!

However, I had understood that only DVD players with a Matsushita MPEGII decoder chip didn't have the chroma bug. I woudn't be feeding it to a Faroudja deinterlacer, so this might be an issue projected by HTPC onto a 3 meter screen. I assume that the SDI signal is picked up right at the output of the MPEGII decoder chip, so...

- do you know if the Denon has the chroma bug?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this baby has got the Matsushita (Panasonic) MPEGII decoder chip that doesn't have the chroma bug, and apparently it has very good audio output.

See Nicolas' thread where several members praise the audio output of the Kenwood 5900M 400-DVD changer:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=88165

Has anyone here had a chance to compare its audio output to that of the Denon 3300?

TIA

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but:

Ayre D-1 DVD

is probably among the very best high-end CD players right now. The German Audiophile magazine tester said it competed well with his Accuphase DP-100 cd-player (which to many is among the best in the world).

Then again, it costs, $7500 or somesuch and I'm not sure it's SDI moddable.

cheers,

Halcy

PS Of the ones you listed I'd just buy the cheapest one and get the audio out in digital form and use all the rest of the money for SDI, scaler and a good outboard DAC. That way you'd get the best image and the best sound out of those players.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.