AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currenly have a 32' Sharp Aquos LCD screen in my bedroom wich has an HDMI input. I would like to get a HD DVD player with an HDMI output for this LCD. What are you recommendations? I wanna stay in the $250 range.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Panasonic S77, although none of the HDMI players at this stage are HD. Wannabe-HD is more like it, although the right player/display combo can make you forget that you're watching upconverted SD for a while. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean it will be more of a 480p throught HDMI right?

I've seen some players in the BestBuy that had HD on the tag... not sure is that was really HD or it was just progressive scan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieniceT
Panasonic S77, although none of the HDMI players at this stage are HD. Wannabe-HD is more like it, although the right player/display combo can make you forget that you're watching upconverted SD for a while. ;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx
You mean it will be more of a 480p throught HDMI right?

I've seen some players in the BestBuy that had HD on the tag... not sure is that was really HD or it was just progressive scan.
What it means is that it will upscale the program to 720p or 1080i, however, if you have a TV that does that, it's really not that big of a deal. The other advantage is that it keeps the signal digital via HDMI. I have an upscaling DVD player, but I have the resolution set at 480i because I want to let my TV do all the upscaling. The other thing I do recommend is that you buy a player that passes "blacker than black" (you may need to do some research on that) and, if your TV suffers from macroblocking (I don't know enough about LCD sets), stay away from players that have a Faroudja chip.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rich i will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko
What it means is that it will upscale the program to 720p or 1080i, however, if you have a TV that does that, it's really not that big of a deal. The other advantage is that it keeps the signal digital via HDMI. I have an upscaling DVD player, but I have the resolution set at 480i because I want to let my TV do all the upscaling. The other thing I do recommend is that you buy a player that passes "blacker than black" (you may need to do some research on that) and, if your TV suffers from macroblocking (I don't know enough about LCD sets), stay away from players that have a Faroudja chip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
At the moment there is no HD DVD content to speak of, except for Windows Media discs that play on your PC/HTPC. The players that are garnering the bulk of the attention here on AVS are upconverting players that use digital processing to increase resolution from DVD's 480 lines to 720 lines, scanned progressively, or 1080 lines interlaced.

The HDMI interface is designed for HD video and audio through a single interconnect. It is, of course, backward compatible with Standard Definition signals output in digital form. Right now, most HD content is confined to broadcast or satellite television signals and D-VHS. HD DVD is coming in two competing formats, beginning at the tail end of this year (think "just in time for the holidays").

Those players you saw at Best Buy with "HD" marked on them were either upconverting DVD players, or DVD recorders with built-in hard drives (although they are usually marked "HDD"). Anything with "HD" marked on it is intended to separate your cash from your wallet. :D

I believe the native resolution of your Aquos is 1366 x 768. The only players that I know of that you will find at a Best Buy or Circuit City that support that resolution are the ones made by Samsung. If you run anything other than 768p to your Aquos, it will rescale the signal (extra processing - not good) in order to produce the native resolution of your display.

Unless you have a strong urge to try an HDMI upconverting player, a good 480i player (either through HDMI or component) will probably give you the best results with your Aquos. If you run 480i out over component, you can then save the HDMI port for the real HD DVD players when they arrive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I don't really have a need to use HDMI for the DVD player. I just want to get a good pq. I currently have Philips DVP642 connected to my Aquos and the picture is terrible... i have it connected through component and i did in fact enable progressive scan on my DVD player.

Quote:
At the moment there is no HD DVD content to speak of, except for Windows Media discs that play on your PC/HTPC. The players that are garnering the bulk of the attention here on AVS are upconverting players that use digital processing to increase resolution from DVD's 480 lines to 720 lines, scanned progressively, or 1080 lines interlaced.

The HDMI interface is designed for HD video and audio through a single interconnect. It is, of course, backward compatible with Standard Definition signals output in digital form. Right now, most HD content is confined to broadcast or satellite television signals and D-VHS. HD DVD is coming in two competing formats, beginning at the tail end of this year (think "just in time for the holidays").

Those players you saw at Best Buy with "HD" marked on them were either upconverting DVD players, or DVD recorders with built-in hard drives (although they are usually marked "HDD"). Anything with "HD" marked on it is intended to separate your cash from your wallet. :D

I believe the native resolution of your Aquos is 1366 x 768. The only players that I know of that you will find at a Best Buy or Circuit City that support that resolution are the ones made by Samsung. If you run anything other than 768p to your Aquos, it will rescale the signal (extra processing - not good) in order to produce the native resolution of your display.

Unless you have a strong urge to try an HDMI upconverting player, a good 480i player (either through HDMI or component) will probably give you the best results with your Aquos. If you run 480i out over component, you can then save the HDMI port for the real HD DVD players when they arrive.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
Honestly I don't really have a need to use HDMI for the DVD player. I just want to get a good pq. I currently have Philips DVP642 connected to my Aquos and the picture is terrible... i have it connected through component and i did in fact enable progressive scan on my DVD player.
Well, there aren't too many players out there that can equal your Philips DVP642 for bad PQ :p . I had that player also for about four hours, before taking it back for a refund!.

I recommend the Pioneer DV-588A, which can be had online for anywhere from $110.00 to $130.00. It will make you forget your Philips 642 in a hurry and tide you over until the HD DVD picture gets clearer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I will check out Pioneer DV-588A :) Do you know by any chance what is the native resolution of this player?

Quote:
Well, there aren't too many players out there that can equal your Philips DVP642 for bad PQ :p . I had that player also for about four hours, before taking it back for a refund!.

I recommend the Pioneer DV-588A, which can be had online for anywhere from $110.00 to $130.00. It will make you forget your Philips 642 in a hurry and tide you over until the HD DVD picture gets clearer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pioneer DV-588A will do 480i or 480p over component. You will have to try both to see which one you prefer. From there, your Aquos will take it to 1366 x 768. Which is what you want.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
DV-588A is merely a DivX/480i/480p (progressive) player with component, Svideo, composite output.

If you want HDMI upconversion @ 720p or 1080i, Panny S77 is your best bet for $200 with DCDi/Faroudja (no DivX support).

If you want DivX support, then consider Samsung HD841 hacked with firmware to play Divx and using DVI->HDMI converter. It has blacker than black issue which may not be an issue with LCD as LCD can't do BTB anyways :D

If you don't care about DivX then Samsung HD941 for $126 with Faroudja/DCDi and with HDMI and component upconversion @ 720p or 1080i (you may decide to save the HDMI for HDTV STB). With latest firmware (downloadable from Samsung website), you can update the player for passing BTB.

720p/1080i should look better than 480i/p for fixed panel displays like yours even though the resolution is not exact. HTPC or custom resolutions like Momitsu v880 (poor build quality) can offer more precise pixel matching.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you think about Samsung HD-941? Would be the same as 642?

Quote:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I just found a Denon DVD-1920 that's HDMI for $210 bucks! I'm all over that to go with my new AVR-4806.
Tha is a great deal for this DVD! Was it eBay? :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I just found a Denon DVD-1920 that's HDMI for $210 bucks! I'm all over that to go with my new AVR-4806.
As long as it's not a B-stock unit or a DVD-1910, that's a great deal. Probably will not come with a Denon warranty, however. :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
What do you think about Samsung HD-941? Would be the same as 642?
Samsung 941: Pixel cropping, sluggish navigation, 2.5 second layer changes...all not good. Also, if you select 720p through HDMI, it remaps the video output to PC levels rather than Studio RGB. You have to send the display 480p or 1080i through HDMI to get the correct RGB levels. It uses a Zoran 778 MPEG chip, which is mediocre at best. I try not to recommend players that need to be hacked, or have their firmware upgraded to produce an acceptable PQ. It shows sloppy/careless engineering and development by the manufacturer when their product is released with so many issues.

The DV-588A uses the MediaTek MT1389EE decoder/deinterlacer chipset. It is known for being very fast with navigation and seamless layer changes. The video frequency response of the 588A is very flat (that's a good thing) and has excellent chroma response. If most of what you watch is movies, it is a very good choice.

If you watch a lot of DVD's that are not film-based, then a Faroudja player like the S77 is the preferred choice. However, all Faroudja FLI-23XX series models introduce some level of macroblocking, which is not a good thing.

As I said in my first post, if you must get an upconverting HDMI player, then the Panasonic S77 is my recommendation. If you just want an improvement over the Philips 642, then the Pioneer 588A will make you happy and save you at least $70-$85 over the S77. Whichever player you get, your Aquos will utilize its' scaling engine to upconvert the signal it receives to 1366 x 768.

Bottom line: for under $250, you are going to have some faults no matter what player you select. It just comes down to what is most important to you. I would get the DV588, and if you are not happy with it exchange it for a S77. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
As long as it's not a B-stock unit or a DVD-1910, that's a great deal. Probably will not come with a Denon warranty, however. :(
Why would you say not 1910? Is 1920 much better than 1910? I though 1910 was a good player for the money.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Wow, a thread going this far without mention of the Oppo :)... in any case, the Oppo 971 is like the 588 but it will upconvert over DVI (you can get dvi to hdmi adapter), uses Faroudja like the 941 and S77, and it will play divx.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Samsung 941: Pixel cropping, sluggish navigation, 2.5 second layer changes...all not good. Also, if you select 720p through HDMI, it remaps the video output to PC levels rather than Studio RGB. You have to send the display 480p or 1080i through HDMI to get the correct RGB levels. It uses a Zoran 778 MPEG chip, which is mediocre at best. I try not to recommend players that need to be hacked, or have their firmware upgraded to produce an acceptable PQ. It shows sloppy/careless engineering and development by the manufacturer when their product is released with so many issues.

The DV-588A uses the MediaTek MT1389EE decoder/deinterlacer chipset. It is known for being very fast with navigation and seamless layer changes. The video frequency response of the 588A is very flat (that's a good thing) and has excellent chroma response. If most of what you watch is movies, it is a very good choice.

If you watch a lot of DVD's that are not film-based, then a Faroudja player like the S77 is the preferred choice. However, all Faroudja FLI-23XX series models introduce some level of macroblocking, which is not a good thing.

As I said in my first post, if you must get an upconverting HDMI player, then the Panasonic S77 is my recommendation. If you just want an improvement over the Philips 642, then the Pioneer 588A will make you happy and save you at least $70-$85 over the S77. Whichever player you get, your Aquos will utilize its' scaling engine to upconvert the signal it receives to 1366 x 768.

Bottom line: for under $250, you are going to have some faults no matter what player you select. It just comes down to what is most important to you. I would get the DV588, and if you are not happy with it exchange it for a S77. :)

AlieniceT, thanks for your review it is very helpful. I did for fact return my Philips 642 and temporary connected my Yamaha DVS5750 from my theatre room since my projector is being replaced now. Tell you what, pq is sooooooo much better... i connected it with component and enabled progressive scan.

I will definitely look into trying Pioneer DV-588A (I just need to find a local store that has it so i can return is in case I don't like it). As far as HDMI connection I don't really care as long as I get a good pq.

Are you guys familiar with Yamaha DVS5750? Any feedback on this player?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
720p/1080i should look better than 480i/p for fixed panel displays like yours even though the resolution is not exact. HTPC or custom resolutions like Momitsu v880 (poor build quality) can offer more precise pixel matching.
I have one of the new Samsung 1080p sets. Would you recommend leaving the DVD player at 480i and let the TV do all the upscaling or would you recommend letting a DVD player do some of the upscaling (assume it is a low end ($200) DVD player connected via HDMI.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.