AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a forum for DVD Players; but, I have come to trust the opinions of all of you.

I need a DVD Player as a Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. She is 85 and has a 2004 32" Sony "tube" TV. This is just for her to play DVD's...nothing too complicated.

With everything gone HD, is there a DVD player that will still play on the older TV's? Offhand, I only know she has Comcast cable.

Thanks!

Rose

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
It's not the dvd player but the tv you'll need to look into.. Since Concrap is forcing us to use cable boxes, the tv will need the proper input plugs in back for a dvd player to be added. Any good, low cost, name brand dvd player should fit her needs.

If the cable box is one of the smaller DTAs-Digital Television Adapter, that only has the silver RF jacks in back, that would be connected to the tv's RF jack, and the cable feed watched over ch 3. A dvd player would need either the basic composite plugs of yellow video, and red/white audio on the tv.

Since she's not a video phile, it probably wouldn't matter if it also had the Component plugs-red/green/blue (for video), plus another set of red/white plugs for audio(when using Component red/green/blue, you need the r/w cables for audio). But she'll need additional inputs if any additional devices need to be added later...There are small boxes called RF modulators, that are found at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc, that will allow multiple conponents-a vcr, cable box, dvd player to be connected to iolder tvs with only a single RF jack, and no other input plugs.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
another thing you may want to consider, if your mother in law has an internet connection, is getting her a subscription to netflix and a little roku box, which will work great on her old tv, even if it has no HDMI cable inputs. I thought it would be impossible for my mom to figure out anything this "technical," but once it was set up (five minutes) the roku,with a VERY simple remote and access to thousands of movies, quickly became her favorite device-- she has point and click access to movies, and she doesn't have to even figure out how to insert a DVD properly , which for some reason was always challenging to her. She has comcast cable, as well, but the multi-function remote for that is baffling to her, and invariably she returns to roku (which also streams a lot of tv shows). So, any DVD player would probably do, as long as it has the old-style cables, but Roku is also something you may want to consider, especially since it also streams amazon videos, which is another back up solution for times when the movies at home just dont fit the bill or she wants to see a recent release.

What kind of auxilliary inputs does your m - i - l 's tv have ? That would be very useful to know, since the DVD or roku would be connected to it -- if you don't know, maybe she can snap a picture of the back of the tv for you, or at least give you the model number? Most relatively recent "old style" tvs have the auxilliary or line in options and I'm pretty sure a vintage 2004 sony trinitron would have a few line in options. Our old one had an input on the rear and on the front. If you were talking about 1984, it might be more complicated!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I'm going to guess if it's a 2004 Sony 32" is should have at least one set of composite inputs and hopefully S-video and maybe component.

As Westly-C said you kind of need to know what inputs she has free to determine how to hook up a future DVD player. More than likely her Comcast box will be hooked up to either RF input or composite. If she has a component input free that would be the best input for a DVD player. The only catch for using component is the DVD player would need to be setup to output 480i(INTERLACED) and not just 480p(progressive). I can guarantee unless her TV is HD even if it has component inputs it will only accept a interlaced signal.

I really like Sony DVD players although the newer ones aren't the quality of the ones of 3 or 4 years ago. Since she won't need HDMI upconversion then something like the little Sony 200 should work fine(

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19634894

I'm going to guess if it's a 2004 Sony 32" is should have at least one set of composite inputs and hopefully S-video and maybe component.

As Westly-C said you kind of need to know what inputs she has free to determine how to hook up a future DVD player. More than likely her Comcast box will be hooked up to either RF input or composite. If she has a component input free that would be the best input for a DVD player. The only catch for using component is the DVD player would need to be setup to output 480i(INTERLACED) and not just 480p(progressive). I can guarantee unless her TV is HD even if it has component inputs it will only accept a interlaced signal.

I really like Sony DVD players although the newer ones aren't the quality of the ones of 3 or 4 years ago. Since she won't need HDMI upconversion then something like the little Sony 200 should work fine(

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Wow, that TV has a rare cable card slot. Since cable companies are scrambling almost all channels I bet lots of people would like to have that feature. I know of no current TVs with a CC slot.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19635081

Wow, that TV has a rare cable card slot. Since cable companies are scrambling almost all channels I bet lots of people would like to have that feature. I know of no current TVs with a CC slot.

Yes, but that TV weighs around 150 lbs. Here's another photo:

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Yeah, those Sony's are beasts. I remember the 40" one weighed over 300 lbs.

Quite a few of the HD ones from them had CableCARD slots back then. Another feature that was nice was how they integrated both the analog and digital channels.

I just started checking Craigslist last night for one myself (36" - but preferably 480i). How the heck I'm ever going to get it home and move it around is beyond me.

All I know is that I can't stand watching my ever-degrading digital signals on my 50" plasma anymore (sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I guess).

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff
$24.99 for a Sony DVD player! I couldn't help myself and picked one up
It can keep my dozen
or so other Sony DVD players company
I think they have medication and therapeutic treatments for that kind of thing now, jjeff.

It reminds me of what my mother's second husband used to say to her back in the 80's - Q: "Why did you buy that?" - A: "Because it was on sale!" (husband just hangs head and shakes it slowly back and forth).

The last time I looked at the Kmart here, they were carrying at least 3 different of those "smaller" Sony models (not all on display - just buried in with the boxes on the shelf). Don't remember the exact prices (or model #'s), but I do remember they were competitive.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
I think they have medication and therapeutic treatments for that kind of thing now, jjeff.

The last time I looked at the Kmart here, they were carrying at least 3 different of those "smaller" Sony models (not all on display - just mixed in with the boxes on the shelf). Don't remember the prices, though.
The first photo shows the small Sony DVP-SR200P in use in a bedroom. For reference the TV has a 13" screen. The second photo shows the large Sony DVP-NS57P at the top of my home office stack.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I've been picking them up on Craigslist or pawn shops whenever I see 'em for$400 on a BR Oppo otherwise the run of the mill $150 BR player is really lacking in DVD picture quality and features.

I kind of did the same thing with VHS players before they faded away, hence my shelving unit full of VHS recorders(even a couple NIB) that I'll probably never use again

I just really don't see standalone BR recorders ever coming to reality, I suppose I could be wrong......

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you there. That's why I bought the Elite DV-79AVi I did a couple of months back for $199. Couldn't pass that up a deal like that on a $900 unit.

It does everything I'd ever want it for superbly, other than Blu-ray, which I have absolutely no interest in right now (and I really needed a CD and DVD player, because I had only been using recorders for that sporadically for the last, few years. Hadn't had dedicated players for either in awhile).

If I ever do want Blu-ray, I can just go out and buy a basic player for under $100 (and by that time, they'll probably even be cheaper), because they're all about the same w/Blu-ray. As far as streaming, I already have the TiVo HD for that.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I thought about buying a Blu-ray player to replace my DVD changer, but the more I think about it, the more I just want to add an extra player.

Which is a shame as I'd love to reduce the redundancy. But I guess I want maximum flexibility more.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
haven't gotten into blu-ray , largely because I doubt I would see much difference on my year old 720 lcd sets, and I dont plan on starting a collection of movies in yet another format. I picked up a yamaha s1800 at a real bargain price of well under a hundred from Amazon, then later it went back up by more than 200 bucks and now some lunatic is trying to sell one at almost $500 more. Crazy. That said, sometimes the older models are sturdier and better, as well as reasonably priced, so no need for Rose to get the latest and maybe not greatest for her M - I _ L ,... I was thinking , with the significantly reduced price of TVs this holiday season, maybe that would be a more significant experiential upgrade for her, if some of the relatives wanted to pool their gifts?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire
haven't gotten into blu-ray , largely because I doubt I would see much difference on my year old 720 lcd sets, and I dont plan on starting a collection of movies in yet another format. I picked up a yamaha s1800 at a real bargain price of well under a hundred from Amazon, then later it went back up by more than 200 bucks and now some lunatic is trying to sell one at almost $500 more. Crazy. That said, sometimes the older models are sturdier and better, as well as reasonably priced, so no need for Rose to get the latest and maybe not greatest for her M - I _ L ,... I was thinking , with the significantly reduced price of TVs this holiday season, maybe that would be a more significant experiential upgrade for her, if some of the relatives wanted to pool their gifts?
Yes, like the $299 32" 720p Vizio LCD at Office Max in today's flyer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys just never let me down!!!!
And, I love you for it!

When my husband told me that he thought my mil would like a DVD player, I told him that I would ask "my guys", as you always help me with good advice!

She is 85 going on 86 in January, and she was using old VCR tapes to exercise to!!!! She will probably use this more for her exercising! I should be so ambitious.

ConsumerSearch recommends that little Sony.

Quote:
For those on a limited budget or who do not own an HDTV, it's hard to find a better basic DVD player than Sony's DVP-SR200P/B. Most reports say that playback is solid. Technology intended to make it possible for the Sony DVP-SR200P/B to play discs in less than perfect condition is effective. While this cheap Sony DVD player can't upscale, it can output video in a progressive format for compatible TVs.

The Sony sounds like a good choice. Geez, you even did my shopping for me! We don't even have to look for a good deal!

Rammitinski....I do have one question for you....

Quote:
I just started checking Craigslist last night for one myself (36" - but preferably 480i). How the heck I'm ever going to get it home and move it around is beyond me.

All I know is that I can't stand watching my ever-degrading digital signals on my 50" plasma anymore (sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I guess).

I became a bit alarmed when I read this as you see, I just purchased a Samsung 50" 8000 plasma. Could you elaborate on "watching my ever-degrading digital signals on my 50" plasma anymore (sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I guess)."

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help!

Rose

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire /forum/post/19637419

I picked up a yamaha s1800 at a real bargain price of well under a hundred from Amazon, then later it went back up by more than 200 bucks and now some lunatic is trying to sell one at almost $500 more. Crazy.

I came really close to buying that unit, too, when it was at it's lowest price. But a lot of the reviews stated that it was pretty picky about the recorded discs it would play, and from personal experience (and all the reviews I was reading) I knew the Pio's played everything you threw at them, so I waited for a good deal on one of those instead.

Only caveat is there are no known multi-region hacks for it - but that's not that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose /forum/post/19638654

Rammitinski....I do have one question for you....

I became a bit alarmed when I read this as you see, I just purchased a Samsung 50" 8000 plasma. Could you elaborate on "watching my ever-degrading digital signals on my 50" plasma anymore (sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I guess)."

In my OTA market they have been adding a lot more subchannels lately, and they steal away digital bits from the main, HD channels for that.

Might not be as bad in your market, or you might never know the difference. If it looks good to you now, I wouldn't worry.

But I'm just used to when OTA HD looked so good that it was, as they say, "like looking out a window". Hasn't been that way for a long time here, unfortunately. I mainly bought the (not cheap) display for watching TV, and don't play many DVD's (or any Blu-ray's), so I'm just extra-sensitive about it, I guess.

They just added yet another unnecessary, new sub to one channel that I watch my home team's baseball games on in HD, and that channel (and a couple of the subs, which have a couple of my personal favorite, old shows) just keeps getting worse. Sports are where the issue shows up the most, because of the fast movement, and that's really one of the reasons I spent so much on the darned TV - for sports.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/19638829

I came really close to buying that unit, too, when it was at it's lowest price. But a lot of the reviews stated that it was pretty picky about the recorded discs it would play, and from personal experience (and all the reviews I was reading) I knew the Pio's played everything you threw at them, so I waited for a good deal on one of those instead.

Only caveat is there are no known multi-region hacks for it - but that's not that big of a deal for me.

I have 2 and don't find them to be picky at all. I really like them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts