Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Krell showcase system and was gonna buy the new showcase DVD player...until I found out it doesn't replay SACD. Which players from say $2000-5000 are worth looking at?

I currently have an Arcam FMJ 27 and want a player that can also replay CD's at audiophille grade.

My other concern is the advent of hi-def dvd...is it so close that it's worth waiting 1.5-2 years for a new hi-def player rather than buying now...?

Your thoughts are appreciated

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a KRELL DVD Standard and I absolutely love it! I have it connected via component cables a la Tara Labs Reference to my Loewe Aconda 30". The picture is so amazing that it drops my jaws to the ground everytime (I used to have the Sony Wega with Sony and Panasonic DVD players, nice but not the same category).

If you look on ebay or audiogon, you'll frequently see Krell DVD Standards for about $5000. I bought mine as a demo from Paragon in Ann Arbor for $6000 and it's worth every penny. (Incidently, Paragon currently has a used trade-in DVD Standard for $4900, which I can only assume will come with the balance of the 5 year warranty).

I don't know much about the Krell Showcase DVD player except it's much slimmer than my monster 25 lb DVD Standard. I don't believe the DVD Standard plays SACD as Krell has a dedicated SACD player (Denon's DVD player does play SACD, but that's probably not what you're looking for).

As far as sound repro goes, the DVD Standard is pretty great with sound. I am somewhat familiar with the Showcase system, but I am more familiar with the Home Theater Standard and the Theater Amplifier Standard. The HTS/TAS with the DVD standard plays amazing sounds. It's better than my friends' PMDT/AVP set-up and better than another buddy's Mark Levinson No39/No383 set-up (The speakers are all different in our set up, the Proceed setup uses B&W CDM while the Levinson uses Revel...I use Wilsons with the Krells). Only with the ML No331-334 or the Krell FPB Class A gear does the HTS/TAS combo meet its match with two channel reproduction. Of course, the HTS/TAS set up is a small fortune, but there are great deals on audiogon.

If you want a great beast of a DVD player and can swing $5000-6000 for a used or demo model (NEVER PAY RETAIL!!!), I HIGHLY recommend the Krell DVD Standard. I love that silver monster! My only complaint is that the blue power light stays on even though the red display panel turns off during the movie! Why?

But if you have a top notch display, then the DVD Standard is the one for you. The Showcase DVD player is probably good too, but when I compare the Showcase Proc/Amps vs the HTS/TAS combo, the sonic difference is far too great in favor of the HTS/TAS (although the Showcase Amp is only 125 watts and the TAS is 200 watts). The DVD Standard is so well built. It weighs 25 pounds and is huge. The components are thick and heavy and it is built the way a KRELL is supposed to be built. The Showcase DVD player reminds me of the Krell 280 CD or 300iL integrated amp...too thin, not Krell-like at all. If you're willing to buy a used or demo unit, then the DVD standard is the one to get. It'll last forever and the picture, omigod! The picture is amazing! Looks like a photograph. No movement artifacts, no distortions...just pure smoothness with brillant colors! Superlatives are appropriate for this beast!

I wouldn't wait for the blue laser DVD. The current standard is regular DVD and HD DVD will be a boutique item (like DVD-A or SACD, both contemporaries of CDs, but the selection is poor and neither will likely dethrone CDs as the standard).

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you want a great DVD player with great sound, the KRELL DVD Standard is a great choice. I will never get rid of mine. Even when Mark Levinson comes out with a DVD transport, I will simply add that to a second system, but the KRELL DVD Standard stays with me to the death.

By the way, I also love my Loewe! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
By the way, I want to mention that Carl Miller at Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor is a pretty cool guy. He took care of me with my DVD Standard purchase. If you live within a few hours of Ann Arbor, swing by and take a look around! If not, then email them or call them for assistance. They're registered with audiogon as paragonss

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Minimalist M
I have a KRELL DVD Standard and I absolutely love it! I have it connected via component cables a la Tara Labs Reference to my Loewe Aconda 30". The picture is so amazing that it drops my jaws to the ground everytime (I used to have the Sony Wega with Sony and Panasonic DVD players, nice but not the same category).

If you look on ebay or audiogon, you'll frequently see Krell DVD Standards for about $5000. I bought mine as a demo from Paragon in Ann Arbor for $6000 and it's worth every penny. (Incidently, Paragon currently has a used trade-in DVD Standard for $4900, which I can only assume will come with the balance of the 5 year warranty).

I don't know much about the Krell Showcase DVD player except it's much slimmer than my monster 25 lb DVD Standard. I don't believe the DVD Standard plays SACD as Krell has a dedicated SACD player (Denon's DVD player does play SACD, but that's probably not what you're looking for).

As far as sound repro goes, the DVD Standard is pretty great with sound. I am somewhat familiar with the Showcase system, but I am more familiar with the Home Theater Standard and the Theater Amplifier Standard. The HTS/TAS with the DVD standard plays amazing sounds. It's better than my friends' PMDT/AVP set-up and better than another buddy's Mark Levinson No39/No383 set-up (The speakers are all different in our set up, the Proceed setup uses B&W CDM while the Levinson uses Revel...I use Wilsons with the Krells). Only with the ML No331-334 or the Krell FPB Class A gear does the HTS/TAS combo meet its match with two channel reproduction. Of course, the HTS/TAS set up is a small fortune, but there are great deals on audiogon.

If you want a great beast of a DVD player and can swing $5000-6000 for a used or demo model (NEVER PAY RETAIL!!!), I HIGHLY recommend the Krell DVD Standard. I love that silver monster! My only complaint is that the blue power light stays on even though the red display panel turns off during the movie! Why?

But if you have a top notch display, then the DVD Standard is the one for you. The Showcase DVD player is probably good too, but when I compare the Showcase Proc/Amps vs the HTS/TAS combo, the sonic difference is far too great in favor of the HTS/TAS (although the Showcase Amp is only 125 watts and the TAS is 200 watts). The DVD Standard is so well built. It weighs 25 pounds and is huge. The components are thick and heavy and it is built the way a KRELL is supposed to be built. The Showcase DVD player reminds me of the Krell 280 CD or 300iL integrated amp...too thin, not Krell-like at all. If you're willing to buy a used or demo unit, then the DVD standard is the one to get. It'll last forever and the picture, omigod! The picture is amazing! Looks like a photograph. No movement artifacts, no distortions...just pure smoothness with brillant colors! Superlatives are appropriate for this beast!

I wouldn't wait for the blue laser DVD. The current standard is regular DVD and HD DVD will be a boutique item (like DVD-A or SACD, both contemporaries of CDs, but the selection is poor and neither will likely dethrone CDs as the standard).

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you want a great DVD player with great sound, the KRELL DVD Standard is a great choice. I will never get rid of mine. Even when Mark Levinson comes out with a DVD transport, I will simply add that to a second system, but the KRELL DVD Standard stays with me to the death.

By the way, I also love my Loewe! :)
. . . And I wouldn't wait for the blue laser players either - at least

for purpose of viewing current-generation DVDs. But far more

surprising is the great advantage of the new upcon' machines like

the Bravo D-1, Samsung HD931 and Momitsu V880, vs their 480

counterparts - no matter how good. I recently saw a $3,500 regular

480 player(don't know the name, might have been Krell) at a local

home theater shop on an Elite 64" RPTV and the image was VERY

good. But, sorry to tell you, the virtual hi-def upcon picture on a V880

just blows it away. And that's a sub-$300 player(!) Don't believe that's

possible? Well, find out from V-Inc, Samsung or Manowa/Momitsu

if there are any incompatabilities with your particular brand and model

of display; get one of the machines with no such issue, and I'll bet

you dollar to donuts you'll quietly put your multi-thousand dollar 480

machine to bed for a long, long rest. It's not that those super-

sophisticated 480 machines aren't good(they are), it's just that the

intrinsic technology of the upcons has leap-frogged ahead. It's like

comparing a turbo-prop plane with a pure jet. The T/P has had its

day, but like all things, sooner or later that day passes to a new

technological generation. We're there now with the upcon's.

Milt R. Smith
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.