AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using my Sony 7000. Would there be a significant benefit to going to s Progressive Scan Player. I love the build quality of my 7000 and am hesitant to replace it with a cheaper built piece of equipment. What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I own both a 7000 and a 34xbr800. You might pick up a somewhat better picture with a good progressive scan DVD player. BUT, 1) I don't think the 34xbr800 de-interlacer's half bad 2) you'll spend thousands to get a player as well-built as the 7000 and 3) you already own the 7000 (buy something else if the money is burning a hole in your pocket).

I personally bought a cheapo progressive dvd player for the 34xbr, and use the 7000 in another system where I require interlaced output. I haven't done an A/B on PQ with the 7000 vs new dvd player.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hey Claude, if you get a chance, could you briefly compare the 7000 with your "cheapo" progressive? which one is it? i'm in a similar situation, i'm using a S7700 (not as good as 7000 unfortunately but still ok) with a Philips 32PT8320 (pretty good upscaler), which is soon to be replaced by a 34XBR800. i heard the latest DRC is quite good but i wonder if a cheapo progressive is still better... i would still keep my 7700 though as it makes a killer CD transport for an outboard DAC, sound quality wise.

cheers,

dorkus

·
Registered
675 Posts
dorkus,

I'll give it a shot, but I probably won't have an opportunity to move the player upstairs until this weekend. Not that it's THAT heavy (though it is heavier than new DVD players) but because I'll get agita from the family members whose viewing I'm displacing.

As to which model it is, I don't remember but will look when I get home. IIRC, it's a JVC bottom-of-the-progressive-line. Not wishing to sound like a wise-ass, but compared to the acuity of seeing things on my 110" screen (using a Sony 10HT which has much older DRC processing), I just didn't figure that the particular model of DVD player was going to matter that much. I figured that if I was in the mood for a real cinematic experience, I'd have to get my lazy butt downstairs. FWIW, even the older DRC does a credible job with interlaced.

I've become quite a DRC fan. I don't think it gets enough credit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
cool, thanks. i had no idea you were using such a huge screen for the 7000.

DRC is ok, but i saw too many motion artifacts in the intial versions. the newer ones seem better though, but i hear the algorithms by Silicon Image (old name, forget what it's called now) and Faroudja are still better. but of course those solutions cost a lot more money.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tfeldstein
I am using my Sony 7000. Would there be a significant benefit to going to s Progressive Scan Player. I love the build quality of my 7000 and am hesitant to replace it with a cheaper built piece of equipment. What are your thoughts.
I have the 34XBR800 and use it with a progressive Panasonic RP-56. Switching the RP-56 from prog to interlaced, I see little if any difference.

The processing in the set is really good.

Phil

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dorkus
cool, thanks. i had no idea you were using such a huge screen for the 7000.

DRC is ok, but i saw too many motion artifacts in the intial versions. the newer ones seem better though, but i hear the algorithms by Silicon Image (old name, forget what it's called now) and Faroudja are still better. but of course those solutions cost a lot more money.
I wasn't clear enough. I use the 7000 with my living room system (an old Toshiba 65" widescreen, interlaced input only (though it has a deinterlacer, it's not great)). The lack of DTS output doesn't bother me there. With the 10HT, I use a Pioneer RP-something, 56 maybe?, that is progressive, good picture, good sound. As Phil says, when I switch from prog to interlaced on the 10HT, there's not much difference, even on my older DRC implementation. There are times when I think that the only reason I leave it in progressive is to avoid buyer's remorse :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently bought the Sony DVP NC655P to replace my other Sony DVP S360 player. To be honest, I didn't see any significant improvement in PQ. My guess is, the TV does a real nice job with the up-convert itself. That said, its easy to hookup, the XBR remote, controls it, and it sounds great playing music CD's. Also, it allowed me to get rid of my older Kenwood CD player and make room for my 5100 STB!

A bargain at around 200 bucks!

Mr. Mayor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.