AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and have found a lot of valuable information.

I recently purchased a RCA 36" high def monitor (MM36100) and am now trying to figure out what DVD player to best match up with it. Since the component input doens't support progressive input, I've been trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to do this. I've looked at the Panasonic RP-56, Toshiba SD-3750, Denon DVD-800, and the Skyworth 1050P. The Skyworth seems like an inexpensive way to get to the 480p signal utitlizing the VGA input. I've also tried to find other DVD players with VGA outputs and have seen no other ones available. From the German Denon website, it looked as if the DVD-1600 might offer VGA output but no one seems to know.

The Skyworth seems like it has its quirks along with the fact that I can only find it at ************* out of HK. I've considered a DVDO line doubler but I'm not sure I want to spend the money. Let me know what you guys think is the best way to get the best picture for the money. Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Jeep

I've bought an MM36100 about a year ago and purchased an Iscan line doubler (video processor) to go with it which converts NTSC 480i signals to 480 p. It really improves the video and can be had for a few hundred bucks. I use an inexpensive 480i DVD player with it and the Iscan also converts the signal to 480 p and it looks great! This setup will do me nicely until the big screen chip-based sets mature and come down in price.

Also, the Iscan has an RGB output and automatic switching so it solves all your problems. You can use one of the RCA's RGBs ( inputs) for the Iscan (NTSC signals, DVD, etc.) and the other (RGB input) for your HD signal.

I love the picture on this set. Regular NTSC (from ExpressVu) through the Iscan and into this set produces a picture better than any I've seen to date.

Cheers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good to see other MM36100 owners out there.

Jeep4JB please keep me posted on what you choose to get 480p on your set.I will probably wait until after the holidays until I can make a purchase.

I also want the the 480p for my X-Box so a component to VGA adapter might be my best choice.I would use it for both X-Box and a DVD player.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I end up buying a Real Magic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card and putting it in an old PC. I just use the VGA output and it has a pretty nice picture. I still need to tweak my TV with Avia. The card also has a coaxial digital output for sound so it covered my bases. I ordered the remote too because I didn't want to have a DVD without a remote.

I talked to Sigma Designs a couple of times to get the everything set up the way I wanted it. They were quite helpful. I ended up buying a cordless mouse and keyboard too. It just seemed like too many people had problems with the component to VGA adapters and I didn't want to spend $500 on a line doubler so this was the best solution I could find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The card with remote was around $100. You can get it cheaper from other places but I couldn't find anyone that sold the remote with it. I ended up just ordering it from Sigma Designs directly. I of course already had the old PC so all I had to do was put a DVD-ROM in it. I bought a Tosh 16x DVD-ROM for around $70. Let me know if you want additional details.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your best bet is to use the iScan with a good DVD player. Some of the non progressive Panasonic players work well. They don't exhibit the infamous chroma bug everyone talks about. There was a review in the original Progressive Shootout where a Pany player was married to an iScan and rivaled some of the more expensive, thousand dollar boutique players.-

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...an%20Plus%20V2

This is what I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.