AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer DV-563A--tried to pay a little more to get a player that wouldn't pause in the middle of movies. It is still under warranty, but get so many different replies from Pioneer. Is there any way to get this fixed.

It's just a very quick pause, and some say it's the laser beam memory catching up--basically--does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Search for "layer change".

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Taken from the hometheaterhifi.com page:

"Layer Change

What it Measures: Amount of time it takes to switch from one layer to another.

Pass/Fail Criteria: Does the player move between disc layers quickly.

This is by design a worst-case layer change, involving a long seek across the disc. The layer change also occurs at the maximum bitrate. However, we find that it correlates well with the speed of all kinds of layer changes"

They measure by the following:

"Pass (Excellent)
Borderline (OK) > 1 or
Fail (Poor) > or = 2 Seconds "

I hope that helps...I don't think it can be fixed, it's simply inherint to your player.

-JR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you--would think if you pay more for a dvd player, it would be of better quality--love everything else about it. That just really bugs me.

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
132 Posts
The cheapest player I'm aware of that eliminates the pause during a layer change is the Denon DVD-2200. It's priced around $599. I have one and there is indeed no pause during the layer change. This player, along with the $999 Denon DVD-2900, have an 8MB buffer that will eliminate the pause during the layer change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Void
The cheapest player I'm aware of that eliminates the pause during a layer change is the Denon DVD-2200.
I hate layer changes. Sure can't wait for my new Denon DVD-2200 to show up at my door (hopefully before the weekend). :)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
JR,

"Some"???

There are only 2 (two) total DVD players that erase layer changes. Denon 2900 and 2200. HTPCs come very close if set properly, but they are apparently not quite perfect on some discs.

Even Denon's latest, more expensive player has issues. Doubtful that other companies will follow suit. Perhaps Marantz now that they are related to Denon.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Hey Spiky,

I was referring to layer change issues, not completey erasing the layer change time all together. In that review, a couple of the more expensive DVD players "failed" the test given to them.

As you mentioned, almost all players have some sort of lag, whether it be 3 seconds or only half a second. :(

-JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.