AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that stand alone DVD players with internal deinterlacing and scaling via DVI output will become the norm when DVI becomes a standard addition on display devices as it will probably be cheaper to produce players with these capabilities than ones with D/A converters etc. In fact, in time, all video sources and displays should go this way (fully digital), resulting in extremely good pictures that do away with the need for external processors and HTPC's. If the PSI PD1000 (and more expensive Faroudja player etc) could be made with DVI/SDI only output and no RGBHV, it should actually come down in price! What do you guys think?

Kane

·
Registered
399 Posts
I tend to agree, but it will take a long time. Many of the current DVD players still have either the Chroma Bug or a Deinterlacing problem, both of which can be solved with new IC's. I don't see them including a scaler unless it has a limited number of options, like 720p or 1080p. If you start adding to many options and refresh rates the price goes up again. Going all digital, I am sure it will happen, but the I/O spec (DVI/HDCP/HDMI) has not been firmly nailed down so display devices have not started adding digital inputs yet (at least very few). HD DVD has not been decided on yet either (Blu Ray or MPEG4), so that will require more development, learning curve and decision making.

Once everything stabilizes, products will emerge, volume will go up and prices will drop.

It will happen sometime in the future.

MJ

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Kane,

what you are saying makes sense in a sensable world (i.e., not ours).

a. DVD players are not allowed to produce digital signals, as the movie studios prohibit this for fear of someone copying the bits. Stupid, of course, since with DeCSS, far eastern companies are already selling bootlegged versions of every DVD in existance for around $1 per copy.

b. DVD players are not allowed to export > 480p signals. Again, the fear is that copying will take place and through oversampling, the original digital data can be decoded and rencoded into bootleg DVDs.

c. If anything, DVDs (or HD-DVD) might produce HDMI signals (i.e., DVI and HDCP signals on a single connector). Expect that to occur in a couple of years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.