AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at both the Samsung HD-931 or the Bravo D1 DVD player. I would like to use the DVI out (1080i) to my Mitsu WS-55313. Does anybody currently have this setup and will either one of those players work with the Mitsu?

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is my understanding that you would see very little benefit using a DVDplayer with 1080i output to a CRT TV.

The benefit of using DVI would be the lack of D/A, A/D conversions. However, there are some very good (and relatively cheap) players without DVI that perform as good as those with DVI (at 480P).

Personally, I would save the DVI input for the TV for an HD STB (i.e. HD D* or HD E*).

I hope this provides some insight. I know it doesn't really answer your question.

Wick

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wick,

The two DVD players I'm looking at upconverts to a 1080i signal. With a DVI out to the Mit, I'm sure the picture would be noticeably better than Component out at 480p. Just wondering if the combo I mentioned above would work together. I guess I'll have to see.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do some reviews searches at Stereo Review.com and CNet and you'll see, at best, mediocre reviews for the Sammy. I haven't seen any on the Bravo though.

Most people say the difference is minimal at best. Save the 300.00 and get the Panny DVD-S25S... It's one of the best 480p pictures you can get for the 80.00 price tag....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm willing to try the players with DVI out. If I was to decide on the Component out player, I would choose the Denon-2900. I would like to here the expriences from people who have seen a component 480p PQ and a DVI out to 1080i PQ. It might be worth a player which has a scaler to 1080i and sends to the HDtv 1080i in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
DThiel:

Go take a look at the review of the Bravo D1 in the October (I think) Widescreen Review. In that review, there is a discussion of the relative merits of upscaled DVI output for various display technologies.

I considered both these players as well and decided on the D1 because of the 931's black crush and lack of aspect ratio control for older DVDs. Although some folks have had problems with the D1 (the D2 is supposed to be shipping in March @ $249 list price), mine has been fine.

I agree with MasterWick (and Widescreen Review :D) that the benefits of DVI alone for your set will likely be minimal. The scaling issue, however, may provide some PQ enhancement since your display will display 480p and 1080i natively.

I'm sorry I can't be more help with this aspect - I have a DLP and its native resolution is 720p, so everything gets scaled to that resolution whether the TV does it or the DVD player does it. I am not enough of a techie to explain the signal path differences, but the D1 outputing 720p looks better on my set than letting the DLP scale a 480i image to 720p. My guess is that the compatibility between chips in the D1 is better than the compatibility between the D1 and the DLP.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Depending on how much of a hurry you are in Denon is coming out with multiple DVD players with DVI starting in the $300 range according to DenonJeff. I think he said sometime mid year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DThiel,

Don't be under the impressing that just because the DVD player upscales from 480i/p to 1080i, it will automatically look better. This is especially the case with a CRT TV. (I am not saying it will not look better as well.)

The biggest benefit in upscaling the 480i/p to 1080i/720p comes when you have a digital projection (front or rear), i.e. LCD, DLP, etc. This is because you are sending a signal to the projector in its native resolution instead of relying upon the projector to upscale or downscale the signal to its native resolution.

With this in mind, if you still want a DVD player with DVI output, I suggestion searching the forum for DVI.

My personal experience is limited to Bravo D1 with PTL300U and Panny RP82 (non DVI) with Mits 65819. I would be tempted to wait until more DVI players come forth to the market (next 3-6 months) before purchasing one.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.