AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't visit public theaters any more ( here are some reasons why ), and the thing I miss the most is watching previews. They kind of get me in the mood to enjoy the movie, and some trailers can be very entertaining in their own right.

With very few exceptions, nearly all the Internet-downloadable trailers I've seen lack the quality to be well displayed on my Marantz S2 without looking like a bunch of moving rectangles.

Does anyone know of a source for high quality trailer downloads? Frankly, I'm surprised nobody has started a subscription business where instead of a monthly magazine you get a monthly DVD with movie trailers. I've actually been considering it myself recently. Granted - it's not a HUGE market, but I would think the Hollywood studios would be happy to provide their trailers in return for some free "direct mail" style marketing to movie buffs in their own home.

Does such a service exist? Google couldn't find any, which means if they do exist their marketing (online at least) stinks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There area couple of High Def ones on the MS WMP9 site and the Matrix ones have an ultra download that is 1024x576...

Apart from those they take a lot of bandwidth to pipe out these 70 - 100 Meg 3 min clips to lots of people...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Subscribe to a cable or satellite service offering HDNet. They have entire hour long shows of nothing but trailers in HD. And I guarantee you're FP will never have looked better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phat Phreddy: You're right, there are "a couple." I need more :)

HTCrazy: I have DirecTV and HD. You're right - it looks great, but I don't have an HD recorder, so I can't record the previews. And the chances that HDNet will have previews on at EXACTLY 10 minutes before I want to watch a movie are slim :)

I want high quality (with DD/DTS sound) DVD movie previews on demand - just like my movies are on demand!

QQQ: I only started that list this week. It's growing. Feel free to contribute more :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Apple's website is the source of high quality move trailers. Unfortunately its only stereo sound and not all movies are offered in the high quality. most are 720x480 so it ain't too shabby.

Apple's quicktime format is one of the best media formats for online video content and its bound to improve. Soon they will have surround sound on their trailers in less than a year i bet.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It seems like most of the newer DVD's offer trailers, but maybe this is not what you're looking form. In any event, we often start a movie by jumping to the special features section of the DVD first, watching the trailers, then proceeding to watch the movie. It makes it seem like you're in the theater, without all the other disadvantages. Of course, the trailers are often a few months old, but we rarely go to the theater anymore, and operate six months or so behind the rest of the world as far as movies go anyway. In other words, the release on DVD is the "opening" for us.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by O and A
Apple's website is the source of high quality move trailers. Unfortunately its only stereo sound and not all movies are offered in the high quality. most are 720x480 so it ain't too shabby.
I wish they were 720x480. Actually the 480 part is the width, so they're more like 480x272. They look okay on my 96" screen but I hope they'll upgrade the rez at some point...

Quote:
Apple's quicktime format is one of the best media formats for online video content and its bound to improve. Soon they will have surround sound on their trailers in less than a year i bet.
Would love that... We like to bring the movie experience home so that means watching current trailers, and the best way to do that is Apple's site. Ripping trailers from DVDs is a pain because we don't usually watch a trailer more than once or twice, and we watch lotsa movies with 1 or 2 trailers before each one...

- Cryo

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most times, the only trailer on the DVD is the one for the movie we're about to watch, and I don't like to watch that because many trailers give away too much about the movie - and show the best (most funny, most visually exciting, etc.) parts.

Plus, I like trailers for movies that aren't out yet - they help build the anticipation of the release.

I've done some more searching, but still can't find a way to get "Coming Soon" type trailers on DVD. I'm wondering if it would be of interest to anyone other than myself?

I'd love to gauge how much people would be willing to pay for a monthly subscription to a DVD Preview service. Say, 5 previews per DVD - all high video and audio quality, delivered via mail once per month. What would you be willing to pay?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
What I wanted to do, and still want to do, is to make a DVD of the trailers of a bunch of movies in my DVD collection and show that before the movie.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, cool. Overpriced, but at least we know that studios will provide their trailers in high-quality format to someone who is planning to put them on DVD. That's a start! :)

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I'd pay normal DVD prices, but I'd want at least 60 minutes of previews per disc... And I want them to be OK with the idea that I plan to rip them onto a hard drive to mix and match :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.