Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase the Sony NS999ES DVD/SACD player. I've found it locally for $1199 and some threads have indicated you can pick it up for $899 online.

I've NEVER purchased electronics online. Any opinions as to whether this is a good idea? Also, any suggestions as to vendors if a positive opinion (heard OADE is good).

I'm a little concerned about an extended warranty for a piece of equipment like this. If something should go wrong, how would I be covered with an online purchase.

Just trying to sort out the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have you tried to actually find the player from an authorized online dealer, and then told your local dealer about it?

The reason I ask is often brick and mortar dealers have a price matching policy. The problem is that some of these guys who buy everything online don't even bother to check with their local dealer, thinking since it's the internet it must be the best price. A good dealer will match an AUTHORIZED dealer's price, regardless of it being online or not.

The dumb thing is that I've seen products sell on the internet for MORE than you can get from a local dealer. On ebay, I've actually seen people buy things for more than full retail (!) because they've done no research into how much things actually cost, and just assume that ebay gives the best deal.

So I say, go online, look for a good price, and then go back to your local dealer, and see if they'll work with you. If the online dealer is an authorized dealer, then the warranty would still apply just as much as the local dealer's would.

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have no qualms about buying online as long as a credit card is involved. Many of the people who own Sharp 9000 PJs bought theirs through an online importer. I'll bet that most 999ES owners also opted to buy online to (a) save on price, and (b) save on sales tax. Reason (b) can be significant in high tax states.

There are many ways to locate online dealers that sell at a low price. One is yahoo:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Just pick a five star dealer, if you are worried. Read their return policies, and choose the seller you feel most comfortable with. Email them to make sure they are authorized Sony dealers. J&R is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've bought several electronics items online, with no problems so far. As long as you have a receipt (which will be in the box when it arrives), you are covered for warranty.

I recently bought the Panasonic DMR-E30 online for a great price.

Ditto what Otzdig said about people buying for more than retail. Duh! And I have neighbors who will excitedly tell me about a purchase they made of an item I know has a terrible reputation for quality. If they'd done their homework.... A fool and his money, don't you know.

Check out Bizrate.com to find out other peoples' experiences with a dealer before you buy, though. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.