AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my HTPC with 9800Pro connected via DVI to HDMI to my new Sanyo Z3 LCD projector.

My PC is set to the projectors native resolution (1280x720) and the picture for windows XP desktop looks stunning. Along with browsing websites and viewing photos.

I also have an ATI HDTV Wonder and HD looks amazingly crisp and clear.

My problem is DVD quality.. I've tried both PowerDVD and WinDVD latest versions of both. You know how it looks on a CRT when you have the sharpness too high you see like ghost outlines of faces and such? That is what I am experiencing when watching DVDs. I've tried multiple movies too and all have the same problem. It's especially noticeable on the 2.35:1 movies where you have top and bottom black bars still, you can see this ghost line next to the bars. It's not just near blacks or the bars though as I've tried other DVDs and see the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've already tried turning down sharpness with no change (didn't think it was sharpness anyways since everything else looks fine). I know it's not my projector as everything else I feed to it from the HTPC looks awesome with no visual defects whatsoever (to my eyes atleast ;) )

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use theatertek and am very pleased with the quality. windvd was not bad but no tt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
try something other than the two players you mentioned. TT, Zoomplayer, mediator, anything that will allow some level of customization. HTPCs are not usually perfect "out of the box", but the huge upside is the level of customization they allow. Here is a short guide on how to do video upscaling with zoomplayer (i think it mentions TT as well):

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

That should get you started. Next, make sure your display is calibrated for the PC input, ie do not calibrate the computer, calibrate the display. Those two things should drastically improve things.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'll check that out.

I installed ZoomPlayer and DScaler5 last night. I must say I had high expectations based on comments here... However, to me it looked like crap. Overall image was blurry, for some reason it was stretched out wider also, making the right and left edges go off the screen. Fire looked absolutely horrible, as if the contrast was extremely high (it's not though, HDTV and other DVD decoders look fine). Also it didn't help with my problem I was trying to fix in the first place.

I could not pause a movie without it stuttering a bit first, was also real pain to get it to output SPDIF. I don't like the DVD interface they give you either, don't know if you can customize that though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
you have to make sure you setup ZP properly to get the most out of it, like using vmr9 renderless, selecting the fullscreen exclusive option under filter(?), then you have to get the right version of ffdshow to work with your computer.... etc, etc... It's not a simple plug in and it's ready type of thing, but when you do get it right, it is well worth the effort.

As far as the ZP interface, I think there are skins available for it, but I use xlobby which will just launch ZP in the background. Setup the keyboard shortcuts and program the remote, and mine is alot easier to use than a STB, and better PQ than any of the theaters I have been to.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already running it renderless. I'll try the fullscreen exclusive option, see if that helps.

Don't think I can run FFDShow, processor is only a 1.5GHz

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You should have at least a decent picture using PowerDVD/WinDVD. Have you tried enabling/disabling hardware acceleration on both players and see the results?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally, I don't think your video is coming out matching your projectors native rez. I think it's coming out at 720x480 and it's being scaled horribly somewhere along the line.

Run the video in a window. How does it look? Is it good? That is what it should look like full screen too when scaled properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.