AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think that the newer DVD-V/A players do not have DVD-R compatibility?

Specifically, the JVC DVD-Audio/Video players and Kenwood DVD-Audio/Video players specifically say that they do NOT support DVD-R format!

This stinks. DVD-R was going to be how I stored and archived my videotapes and ReplayTV shows.

What's up with this? Is it intentional? MPAA related?

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It might be that they are going to back the DVD+R/RW format instead. If those manufacturers don't support it, then screw them. I don't think any of those brands have any real TOP OF THE LINE players anyway.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You have to check the player yourself. Do not believe what it says in manuals. All new JVC players play DVD-R if it is recorded in compatible mode. They are not going with DVD+RW because it is not a format supported by DVD consortium. Philips and HP are the only ones behind it right now. Of course this could change.

BTW always try a player yourself as far as playing anything like recordable DVD formats.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
Philips and HP are the only ones behind it right now. Of course this could change.

BTW always try a player yourself as far as playing anything like recordable DVD formats.
A lot of people keep saying that, but if you look at the DVD+RW site now it lists a lot more companies including Sony, and Thomson, and Yamaha.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
These other companies may say they support it but I think it is only in case the other 2 will fail. You never know, in couple years we might have recorders that support all formats.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting that! I've been eyeing both a Kenwood 5900 and a DVD recorder to feed it discs - not too smart a pairing from what your documentation suggests. Have you been able to verify this with a DVD-R? I'd be most interested too, as this would possibly make my dreams come true...

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.