AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just copied my first (of many) Hi-8 tapes to the HDD. Used the Shorten to eliminate bad sceenes. Used the Divide option to make multiple chapter/menu options. Burned to a DVD-R and all worked great. The wife loved it. Deleted all the items off the hard drive, since now I have a DVD-R.

Now the wife wants another copy. I "ass"umed that I could just copy my newly created DVD-R and make another copy for her. Looking at my options, and the wonderful manual I have, looks like I can't. It appears that I cannot make copy of the DVD-R I just made. Or, is there a trick/option that I am missing?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
you need

a) a DVD burner for the PC (might as well, it will happen again)

b) a copy of DVD-Decrypter (freeware, google for it)

1) use DVD-Decrypter to make an ISO image of the disc on the harddrive

2) reburn same back on the DVD burner

3) wash, rinse, repeat

you can get an LF-D521 2x burner here: http://www.shop4tech.com/item1443.html for $149, free shipping....

and it will read/write Ram discs for when you take the next leap and the wife want's some background music or you want 'fancier' menus.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
not the same thing, he is just RE-RECORDING the the disc the the HS2's harddrive... which is another generation down.. and loses all the menus/chapters that were made....

not much of a solution..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I started looking at drives the day before my wife asked for a duplicate. I was hoping for a trick (without loss) Do you know of any other drives that does -R and -RAM and possibly the other formats? I did find one from Creative Labs, but it was a lot more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by piper
Thanks for the response. I started looking at drives the day before my wife asked for a duplicate. I was hoping for a trick (without loss) Do you know of any other drives that does -R and -RAM and possibly the other formats? I did find one from Creative Labs, but it was a lot more.
LG's GSA-4040B does everything, yes, every format (google it, as Londo would say, ~$175).

duwdu

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by duwdu
LG's GSA-4040B does everything, yes, every format (google it, as Londo would say, ~$175).
Except it WILL NOT accept RAM in Carts.. this is from several hands on reviewers... the info on the LG site it incorrect.

and $149 shipped beats $175 :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Except it WILL NOT accept RAM in Carts..
What a small price to pay for a unit that can read and write all formats!

duwdu

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm planning on editing some old 8mm and Hi8mm vacation videos to remove unwanted footage and consolidate multiple tapes onto a single 2+ hour disc. In order to save my editing work, I plan to archive a copy to DVD-RAM as well as DVD-R. The E80 will allow you to copy from DVD-RAM back to the hard drive. That way, I can clean up HD space, yet be able to make future copies of my edited work if necessary.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Say that after you get a fingerprint on a 'naked' ram and you get a recording error. I'll keep my RAM's in carts and clean thank you..

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:

duwdu
Should you discover just how useful DVD-RAM can be, "all formats!" may not be such a wonderful trade-off.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by potus
Is there a RAM-cart drive that runs at 4x , like the 4040B does? (the panny drive is only 2x.)
Not YET.. I heard rumbles of a LF-D621

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
The E80 will allow you to copy from DVD-RAM back to the hard drive. That way, I can clean up HD space, yet be able to make future copies of my edited work if necessary.
Is the DVD-RAM to HDD transfer lossless and without reencoding, and can it be done in high speed mode?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randall
Is the DVD-RAM to HDD transfer lossless and without reencoding, and can it be done in high speed mode?
Yes and Yes, takes about 26 minutes to transfer a full DVD-RAM

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Say that after you get a fingerprint on a 'naked' ram and you get a recording error. I'll keep my RAM's in carts and clean thank you..
Now that you've mentioned that Londo, I have some naked RAM media all as yet unused/unopened and was wondering if there are facilities for fitting some into carts?

duwdu

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Quote:
you need

a) a DVD burner for the PC (might as well, it will happen again)

b) a copy of DVD-Decrypter (freeware, google for it)

1) use DVD-Decrypter to make an ISO image of the disc on the harddrive

2) reburn same back on the DVD burner

3) wash, rinse, repeat

you can get an LF-D521 2x burner here: http://www.shop4tech.com/item1443.html for $149, free shipping....

and it will read/write Ram discs for when you take the next leap and the wife want's some background music or you want 'fancier' menus.
Does it have to be that much trouble? On my Toshiba portable, I just put the source disk in the drive, click "backup," it prompts me when it's time to put in the target disk.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Now that you've mentioned that Londo, I have some naked RAM media all as yet unused/unopened and was wondering if there are facilities for fitting some into carts?
Criminies I wish I knew... I've been trying to buy 'empty' cart for almost a year.. everytime I ask I either get ignored or giggled at...

Since I can buy 'naked' RAM's at WallyWorld for 3/$12.87 (Maxell) I would like to find about 20 extra carts (everynow and then a RAM will go bad.. so I keep a few 'naked' ones handy to fill that cart).

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET EMPTY TYPE II CARTS, WE WANT TO KNOW!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.