AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I have to tell you ... this whole DVD-R thing is just about driving me completely insane. I just don't understand why the darn things are so incompatible. For instance, I have 2 different DVD players (an older Pioneer unit and a rather new Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 unit). I also have a friend who has two Panasonics, a RV32 and the new S35S that he just got at BEST BUY a week or so ago for like $99. I have made some DVD-R's in a few different ways with the following results:

1.) Copy a DVD5 to a DVD-R with a computer (*.iso rip and burn)

Using DVD Decrypter you can simply RIP a DVD to your HDD in ISO mode then burn it back to a DVD-R but this only works with a DVD5 or another DVD-R (does not work for DVD9). This process creates a DVD-R that will play back in either of my DVD players as well as a Panasonic unit (RV32 and the new 35S) with no problems. Using a fairly new SONY PC with Win XP home and the 104/A04 Pioneer DVD-R drive. So far I've only tried this method with commercial made DVD discs (for backup purposes).

2.) Copy a DVD9 using DVD2ONE. In case you don't know DVD2ONE is a software program that basically compresses a DVD9 down to a size that will fit on a standard DVD-R. I have the most current version (ver. 111) and have only done full disk backups (there is also an option to back up just the movie with no menus whereas full disk backup does everything including all menus and extras etc.). DVD2ONE creates your VTS and VOB files which then need to be burned to a DVD-R and I've been using Nero to do this in NERO EXPRESS mode (which I am told makes a compliant DVD-R disc). Again using the SONY computer mentioned above. A disc created this way works on all the players mentioned except the Cyberhome. It simply locks up the Cyberhome as it tries to read the disc. Have to unplug power, plug back in, then eject the disc as soon as power is restored.

3.) Panny Standalone DVD-R from different sources. I have about 3 different DVD-R discs that were made on either an E20 or E30 and in all cases they play back flawlessly on the Panasonic players but do not play back on the Cyberhome. The Cyberhome plays back about 30 seconds or so ... will pause for a while (maybe another 30 seconds if not more) then continue playback for just a bit then repeat this cycle. These will play back on my Pioneer but there are moments (far too often like once every couple of minutes) where the screen breaks up into big ugly block pixels. Please note that 2 of the 3 DVD-R discs in question where recorded from VHS sources and 1 from a LaserDisc (for backup purposes).

4.) I have only one DVD+R that was made on a european model Philips standalone. This plays back with no problems on my Cyberhome which converts it to NTSC very nicely. The material recorded to the DVD+R was from a PAL VHS so yes the DVD+R here in question is PAL format. Cannot test on the other three units as they do NTSC only.

Well, as you can see, if you followed the above, the Panasonic units played back all of the different DVD-R discs with no problems. But the Pioneer and Cyberhome can only sometimes play back DVD-R discs depending on how they were made. Am I the only one that finds this really stupid! I mean, I will probably just end up getting a Panasonic player but what do I tell a friend I give a DVD-R disc too? Hope it works if not the new Panasonic S35S is only $99 at BEST BUY here is your "free" DVD-R (a say "free" as my friend may have to buy a new DVD player to play it).

I love DVD. Had to deal with VHS for far too long and LaserDisc was great but yeah I gotta admit DVD is now better than LD and much cheaper than LD ever was but for crying out loud a VHS tape recorded on just about any VHS VCR will work in ANY VHS VCR. Unfortunately DVD-R is not this way and it sucks big time. I wonder if this is by accident (too many manufactor's doing things slightly different and not to "spec") or if "the powers that be" have done this to us on purpose as some grand scheme of driving us all INSANE and stopping the sharing of DVD-R discs.

So next time you give a DVD-R to someone tell them if they don't have a fairly recent Panasonic DVD player ... well just tell them that if it doesn't work it's either a free coaster or a DVD-R that costs the price of a new DVD player!

Mad and Ranting ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

· Registered
365 Posts
I hear ya. Same problem here. I use Princo blank DVD-R's which don't seem to play on anything except Panasonic. But that's actually a good thing because my friends have stopped bugging me to burn them discs (none of them have Panasonics!).

· Registered
120 Posts
Hey Fulci,

I feel your pain. I produce event videos and have begun distributing DVD-R media burned on a Panny HS2 to clients.

Thus far, I've had two complaints with Princos and both clients had Toshiba dual (VHS + DVD) players.

Based on comments from this forum, I switched from Princos to Samsung BeAll. This move has paid off thus far as both clients can now enjoy their DVD-R. I can't say that BeAll media will work all the time because I have no way of knowing what players future clients will use.

BTW, I got my Samsung BeAll DVD's at Meritline.com

Jeff

· Registered
2,433 Posts
Which program are you using to burn the DVD-R's. I know for a fact that many people have problems with NERO. Have you tried programs like Gear Pro, Prassi Primo or Record Now Max?

· Registered
529 Posts
I agree with Jeff on the Samsung BeAlls. They have worked flawlessy for me. Burned on an E30 and a PC.

You should download the latest version of Nero Express. I read on DVDR Help that some of the earlier versions shipped with drives were buggy. Alternately, use a different package like Joe_M suggested. I use ULead DVD Workshop and Movie Factory without any problems. Workshop is expensive but Factory is fairly cheap.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Nero puts out updates frequently. If you use it and ever run into a problem, first thing to do is check for an update

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FulciZombieFan
So next time you give a DVD-R to someone tell them if they don't have a fairly recent Panasonic DVD player ... well just tell them that if it doesn't work it's either a free coaster or a DVD-R that costs the price of a new DVD player!
What model Pioneer player did you use? It sounds like the Pioneer also played everything you could play on it (not counting the the non-NTSC DVD-R) except for the pixelation with one of the DVD-Rs.

Generally speaking, the newer DVD players, like the Panasonics you are using, should be able to play DVD-R (and all other DVD -|+ RW derivations) just fine.

Peace.....

· Registered
103 Posts
I only just bought my Panasonic E30 and I have used TDK DVD-Rs. I have burn 10 discs so far and every player I have put the disc in have worked and play nicely. Some Panasonic, Apex, Sony, Samsung, GE, RCA and Sanyo. Some players are New and some models I are old, like my Panasonic A310.

· Registered
931 Posts
As others have said compatabilty can be the media or the method used to burn the DVD or the DVD player it-self.

Same problem exists with making SVCDs, VCDs, and CVDs just try some other media and once you find a combo, media and burning method, that works for both your players stick with it.

· Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
I only just bought my Panasonic E30 and I have used TDK DVD-Rs. I have burn 10 discs so far and every player I have put the disc in have worked and play nicely. Some Panasonic, Apex, Sony, Samsung, GE, RCA and Sanyo. Some players are New and some models I are old, like my Panasonic

A310.
Clients have had trouble with Toshiba players, specifically dual VHS + DVD type. The problem media has been Princos, Imation, and even Panasonic, which have all burned nicely in my HS2. So far, the Samsung BeAll media has played in the Toshiba players.

Jeff

· Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
VOB files which then need to be burned to a DVD-R and I've been using Nero to do this in NERO EXPRESS mode (which I am told makes a compliant DVD-R disc). Again using the SONY computer mentioned above. A disc
Could Nero Express be the problem? I use a full version of Nero Burning ROM. It allows you to choose between different types of DVD formats. ISO, UDF(2 or 3 different versions, combo ISO/UDF, etc.) I have found that some options work better on certain players than others. Can you play with these options in Nero Express?

Just a thought...

· Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
i used DVDX
Which is what, exactly (i.e., media or burning application)?

· Registered
205 Posts
Burnin' Software that has many issues(problems) for some. Episodics, hang-ups, not recognizing burners, not recognizing that a RW is erased, the list goes on & on. A nice try, but far from a perfect piece of SW. Check the forum off of their site for more details.

For me, it's a hit or miss thing. I have found it easier to use other programs. My opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.