Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really stupid question:

The manual says Taiyo-Yuden 4x. The sites I've seen selling TY have only 8x. Are these OK to use?

(Clearly, I'm new at this...)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had really bad luck the one time I tried a TY 8x disc in an XS32 -- it wouldn't read in anything, and I scanned it on the computer and found bad sectors. Other TY discs out of that spindle burned fine on my computer's Pioneer A07 drive.

I'd be wary... (granted, this is ONE disc I tried but I've decided to stick with my burn to DVD-RW and then copy to computer for final DVD-R burn, it's longer but I don't have to worry about every disc possibly being one the XS32 gets goofy on)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, do you think that because it was 8x vs. 4x? Or because of the brand?

I can't do the computer burn as I only have a CD burner on the PC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the 8X media is almost certainly going to be more expensive but I do not see why it wouldn't work correctly. I would definitely stick with the TY media though. Other media (some) will work, check the large Londo thread for suggestions. You can find the TY 4X media at: www meritline dot com

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It was the speed...rest assured. Stick with 4X...along with TY, Maxell(Japan), TDK(Taiwan) have worked like a charm for me. These machines will likely need a firmware update to burn 8X reliably, if at all. Tuck them aside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by patsy1099
Well the 8X media is almost certainly going to be more expensive but I do not see why it wouldn't work correctly. I would definitely stick with the TY media though. Other media (some) will work, check the large Londo thread for suggestions. You can find the TY 4X media at: www meritline dot com
Thanks for the source and suggestion.

Hmmmm. At first glance, it seems that the price is about the same as the 8x stuff I saw at Rima....?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ClarkeBar
It was the speed...rest assured. Stick with 4X...along with TY, Maxell(Japan), TDK(Taiwan) have worked like a charm for me.
Thanks.

(This is one of those supposedly simple things that turns out to be more complicated than the stuff I thought would be harder... similar to buying cables when installing my first home network.) :confused:

Looks like my local Office Depot sells Maxell. But I guess I'll have to check to see whether they're made in Japan. Prices on their website look high too.

What's a "reasonable" price per disk (estimate) to expect when buying, let's say, a 50 disk spindle of any of the above brands at 4x?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Everytime I go for more there seems to be a virtual '2 for 1' deal so I'm paying about .50 per on 25pk spindles. I did foolishly go out and grab some Sony 1X -RW's (all I could find) at about $1.50 per (foolish because I wanted 2X but really needed the -RW's.)

My best deals were at Costco (TDK) and Online, of course. AVS members are so great about sharing this info, usually this forum is the first place I get a heads up on any deals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The online sources for TY 4x seem to average $.65 or so per disk but the Maxells appear to be twice that. I found some made-in-Japan Maxell 50 packs at the local Office Depot but didn't buy them since the price was over $85 w/tax.

I need to do some more reading. I'm still not sure I understand all the differences within brands, let alone between brands.

Oh... one other question: does the reliability factor increase when using 2x vs. 4x? And can one even find 2x?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've heard that reliability increases with 2X (especially if you have the older unit with software version Z10 as opposed to the newest release of ZL11 which suposedly supports more types of media). But if I were you I would just buy the 4X media that works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.