AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Yamaha DVD-CX1 and its manual says it plays some DVD-R but doesn't mention DVD+R. I want to get a DVD recorder when I get a new computer and I'd like to burn movies that will play on the Yamaha. Dell offer a DVD+R/RW with their PC, but I don't want to get this if I can't burn DVDs that will play on the Yamaha. What's the scoop? Should I just buy a dual format (DVD+/-R) writer and then burn DVD-Rs? Is this the most compatible format for most DVD players?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ds,

I've done some not too scientific testing in regards to this exact subject. I tried both DVD+R and DVD+RW disks in the CX-1. Ironically the +RW format worked whereas the +R did not. I expected just the opposite. The Yamaha S2300 behaved the same as did the 940. I also tried the 740 and it played both formats. Go figure, the lower end model worked better!!! I did not test the -R format as at the time I didn't have that type of burner. Yamaha is in the DVD+R/+RW camp which surprised me when those type disks (DVD+R) did not work . (No, the disks were not defective either)

Now this is not the be-all end-all in this regards. I'd get a few sample disks and try them yourself. They may work. PM me if you want more info on these or other players/disks/formats I've tried.

To get around this situation in the future, I added a dual format burner (DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW) in addition to the HPDVD200i (DVD+R/+RW only) burner I already had. I have also successfully copied +R/+RW disks to the -R format. I also had my +R format drive read the -R disks. I didn't think it would.

As a last note, on subsequent testing, I found some DVD players to be media brand sensitive (HP disk vs. Memorex etc.) vice format sensitive.

I have also had burner firmware updates that have enhanced the 'burnability' in the disk supposedly allowing for a broader spectrum of player compatibility. Most new players will play either format. Sometimes they're just a little finicky.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trashcan,

Thanks for the response. I have heard that media brand can make a difference, which is surprising. Verbatim brand has gotten some good reviews. I think I'll definitely go with the dual format burner, just to be on the safe side. +R can burn at 8x, while -4 burns at 4x, so hopefully I'll have good success with +R on the Yamaha. Upstairs I have an old Sony non-progressive player---who knows what will work with that!

I would have thought that the DVD burner software would save the DVD in the most readable format for DVD players, but I guess readability is dictated by the media (+R, -R, +RW, etc.) rather than the software used to create the DVD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.