AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the price of DVD-R's going up lately?

I had a source I found on this forum for DVD-R's in bulk a few months back. I ordered 120 for a price of $.60/each and also recieved a $5 discount with a AVSFORUM discount code. I'm running low and went to their site last night only to find they had jacked the price of the same discs to $.99. I'm wondering if there are still deals out there for the price I was getting b4?

·
Registered
670 Posts
The last DVD-Rs I purchased were a bit more expensive than the one's I bought before. So yes, I have noticed a small increase.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ollie who are the actual manufacturers of DVD-Rs?

I know for CD-Rs it's only a handful, i.e. Tayo Yuden, CMC, Ritek, etc. They then sell to other companies who slap their name on them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Matsushita (Panasonic), Pioneer, Verbatim, Sony, Maxell, TDK and Ritek. Can't say if everyone is an oem, but if the market is big enough, each will license rights from the patent-holder. I don't know who manufactures junk brands like Memorex and Imation.

Verbatim is the least expensive brand-name with a good rep. But Best Buy is not shipping the 50 2x-write speed dvd-r spindles ($100) right now. Bummer. Other retailers want as much as $130.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I second the opinion that Imation is a junk brand. What's worse, their customer service is one of the worst in the industry. I once had a $20 rebate from them, they flatly refused to send me the money, even though I sent in all the required documentation. I called up the company, and all the people I spoke with were very rude. I haven't bought anything Imation since.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
n life, you get what you pay for. Do you know what PI8 error rate you get on the cheap stuff? If it is Imation, the number is 1664, which is way above the spec for dvd-r general (

What effect does the PI8 error rate have on the DVD. I purchased a bulk pack (120 discs) of the following a few months ago:

Princo 4.7GB DVD-R (1X), General Purpose, No Logo, Bulk Pack

I burned about 110 of them without any coasters in the bunch. I haven't even noticed any glitches during playback. So I'm wondering what I can expect to see if I spend 2 or 3 times more for "better quality" dvd's.

Any info. would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.