Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation:

I have a camcorder and want to put our kids activities from the camcorder on to DVD.

For instance:

I want 1 DVD per child, unique with their own activities on it.

I want to be able to put a 3 minute dance routine and finalize it to show Grandma, then next week put a 30 minute soccer game on it and then show their aunt both the dance and soccer.

Do you follow what I am trying to do?

I want to put multiple events on 1 DVD but not leave it open until it is complete, and not have 1 DVD per event.

I tried this on a regular DVD+R since this is all I had at the time and in order to view what I just put on the DVD, I need to finalize the disc. HOWEVER, once the disc is finalized, I can't add anything to it.

Will a DVD+RW make this happen for me? And will DVD+RW be most likely compatible in Grandma's DVD player?

Thanks in advance for the quick replies! :D

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
most likely DVD+RW won't play in grandma's player (depends on the model though). DVD+RW would have to be erased and then recreated to add to it to allow it to play on a stand alone.

Now if grandma's DVD player could play DVD-RAM....

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I can only speak of the Panny E30, but I believe this applies to most DVDR's (other than the fact my particular brand doesn't support RW or +, only DVD-R and RAM). I have had no trouble recording multiple sessions...sometimes weeks apart...to a single DVD-R. I am always able to play earlier sessions back before recording new ones with no problem. I could even erase sessions if wanted (without benefit of reclaiming the space, of course. Other than that they behave identically to DVD-RAM's).

These DVD's will not play in my laptop, and likely nowhere else, until finalized, but there should be no reason you can't add sessions to an open DVD-R. Finalizing only really does one thing, which is to turn a DVD-R or DVD+R into a DVD-Video, which is the format virtually all DVD players recognize. Of course this prevents new recordings, but that shouldn't matter once you are done recording.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
exactly TomCat, he wants to play the DVD back on a standalone before finalizing the disc. Thus I think the best bet would be to buy grandma the same recorder that he has. If he has a Panny (he didn't state), he could buy her a player that supports DVD-RAM and just use those during the interim.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Be a nice guy and buy Grandma a new dvd player that you know is compatible.

And, at a buck or disc, finalize it if you have to and keep the data on your hard drive or a ram disc. Then you can take what you have and add to it. Then burn another disc.

A buck a disc really shouldn't be a barrier!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.