AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seemingy noobish question. But do all DVD-R players play DVD+R? I know its not vice versa. On my XA2, they don't list DVD+R in the specs or in the user manual, but it plays all of my DVD+R's...well all I have put in it so far, and if it plays one should play all.

This was a super nice surpise to me, since my DVD back-up collection is mostly DVD+R. Thanks and the XA2 is a masterpiece!

·
Registered
450 Posts
From Videohelp.com:

-DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

-DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

-DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

-DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

The XA2 is designed to play:

HD-DVD

HD DVD-R

DVD DVD-R

DVD-RAM

DVD-RW

CD

CD-R

CD-RW

The XA2 might, usually on a per disc basis play:

VCD

SVCD

DVD+R

DVD+RW

I've used plenty of drives that say they can't play DVD-R or DVD+R and do play some of the discs of the opposite format. Playing one doesn't mean it will play all. If it played them all then it would be in the specs since it's not, it comes on a per disc basis.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats weird then. I wonder why they don't list it in the specs? I'm sure people are weighing that fact when thinking of purchasing an HD DVD player. I was, big-time, but couldn't resist the XA2 in the End. Don't get me wrong, I havent played all my DVD+R's, but it seems like the G2 players does support them.

My XA2 plays DVD+R disks from Sony, Imation, Maxell and Intenso....I do have one DVD+R DL, I'll have to try that.

Added: I'm a Doctor Who geek, and have over 100 VHS tapes backed up onto DVD+R disks, thats why it was almost a deal breaker for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.