AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my Panasonic DMR-E20 recorder and am loving it but I ran into a couple of

problems and wanted to know if someone could answer them for me.

1. I tried to record Jurassic Park III from DriecTV receiver and was given a message that

it could not be recorded!! every time I hit record I was given this error message!! Can they put Macrovision or something like that over a Satellite Signal ??

This is the first time I have run into this and am very disappointed.

2. I recorded some DVD-R's 4hr format and tried to play them back on a HP laptop with

with WinDVD and also a Mac Powerbook G4 and neither worked?? Tried them on my

Dell 8100 Inspiron also with WinDVD with no problems. Also I tried a 2hr format one

on my Powerbook G4 and it also worked??

Is there something that prevents the longer recording time ones to not work on some

Laptops or what?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Marcel

·
Registered
234 Posts
If this is a message on the TV itself saying

"Sorry, this material cannot be recorded"

or something similar then yes, it's the dreaded

macrovision.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
What receiver do you have?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm...this may be a function of a particular DirecTV reciever. I also have the Panny E20 and a Phillips DSR6000 DirecTivo satellite receiver. I just record movies (PPV or nonPPV) to the DirecTivo and then record to the E20. I have recorded 13 out of 13 so far to DVD-R no problems. How about some feedback from other DTV users....receiver type/macro issues?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have DirecTV but I do have the e-20.... I remember reading in the e-20 manual that some satellite/cable broadcasts cannot be copied to DVD-R, but CAN be copied to a DVD-RAM. I wondered what the heck they meant by this.... I have Dish and I have never received the "cannot copy" message from a Dish broadcast. I suggest the next time you DirectTV owners receive the msg while trying to record to a DVD-R in the e-20, pop in a DVD-RAM and see if that works.

Strange isn't it?

Hyperseer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I have the basic Huges DirecTV REceiver don't know the exact

model. I will try next time to see if it does work with DVD RAM instead of DVD-R and see

what happens.

By the way I also tried to copy a DVD movie from an APEX DVD player and got the same

response, then I hacked the APEX with a MOD chip and it was able to copy it fine!!!

Marcel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Marcel, change the bit mode to mode 2 on the DVD and see if those PCs with the playing problem don't read the discs now. I've had the same problem with my 985 and changing the bit mode cleared it all up (I don't know how to change it on the E20)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.