AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
What magazine is this from? Those numbers are almost the opposite of my experiences.


Sony's SUCK! Had terrible luck.

Princos Suck! Over 50% failure rate.


I've burned over 200 Memorex and only had three bad and they were replaced free by Memorex. Why are they even grouped with Princo?


I've also had Very Good luck with Apple discs. Burned about 50 with zero bad discs.


I've had limited experience with Optodisc and its been very good so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
You don't see Pioneer on the top 5 do you? Maybe they came in fourth worst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
For what it's worth: I read that Nasa is using Samsung DVD-R media for archival purposes. So naturally I went and ordered a spindle for my really important stuff. So far (around 35 discs burned) they are working quite well and seem to be somewhat more compatible with other players than my generic-looking Vivastars. I paid approximately 1.50 each for the Samsung discs at Meritline.


Happy recording!

Peter M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
Suprised NASA didn't geek out and do the light refraction (or whatever) tests that were used to generate the pics in the above posts before they settled on Samsung. Maybe Samsung just paid NASA a lot of product placement money so they could appear next to Tang as the official DVD of the Space Shuttle.


LOL



In any event, glad the Samsung disks are working out, Pete. Thanks for the additional data point.


Vic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
You don't see Pioneer on the top 5 do you? Maybe they came in fourth worst.
I was considering Maxell (#3) and Apple (#5) as the same difference since they are also just rebranded Pioneer media.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
Doh. My bad, sorry.


I see your point. Does this fact reflect (no pun intended) negatively on the test validity/assumptions (i.e., are the testers aware of the brand affiliations and the base media manufacturers and acknowlege this or are they blissfully unaware and just testing "brands")?


Why wouldn't the testers just consider the source media vendors rather than the resellers/rebranders? Theoretically, there should be little statistically signifianct variation between rebranded media from the same base manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
What magazine is this from? Those numbers are almost the opposite of my experiences.


Sony's SUCK! Had terrible luck.

Princos Suck! Over 50% failure rate.


I've burned over 200 Memorex and only had three bad and they were replaced free by Memorex. Why are they even grouped with Princo?


I've also had Very Good luck with Apple discs. Burned about 50 with zero bad discs.


I've had limited experience with Optodisc and its been very good so far.


Wow that has not been My experience at all! I purched 30 Memorex -R's with my HS2 and have tried about 22. Only 2 worked Ok! My problem was that they would only record correctly on the 1st 2/3 of each disk. One on disk I recorded 1:10 at SP the last 10m were trashed. I also had 2 costers. I have swiched to Lead Data (very cheep) used about 15 with no problems at all. Recording up to 2:15m on FR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
...are the testers aware of the brand affiliations and the base media manufacturers and acknowlege this or are they blissfully unaware and just testing "brands")?
It sure looks they are just testing brands. Of the "top 5" discs listed, only Verbatim are OEM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
This already sounds far too much like the CDR wars that I grew to love so much when I was trading live audio about 12-18 months ago. Everybody has their own personal favorites about what works best, what works worst and why this must be so.


Some traders would only accept/use verbatim or tdk discs, others would swear against the very same discs to their grave. Occasionally it could be explained by a difference in manufacturing plant (such as supposed the difference between Japanese Fujifilm 80min CDRs and Taiwanese Fujifilm 80min CDRs - this one I'm inclined to go along with because I've had so few problems with fuji CDRs and they are always on sale). Other times it is probably burner related.


Heck it could even be climatic - people freezing their asses off in siberia having different cd/dvd burning experiences from those who live in humid conditions like florida vs people who live in dry heat.


Unless the tests were done on several DVD writers/recorders keeping close tabs on the exact facility in which the DVDs were manufactured under different conditions, there is no way of knowing whether vertical green lines are what is important for me to get DVDs to burn vs what is important to get DVDs to burn for somebody else.


The vertical green line story sounds good and plausible. But it can't end there. It's like the difference between a flawless colorless diamond and a cheap flawed yellowish one. But unless you have the money to put platinum behind the diamond to show it off, you might as well go with a cheaper diamond whose quality will not be exposed on a gold setting. Sure one is worth more because more people can use it. But there's still a valid market for the middle of the range. The only ones that really should be exposed are the diamonds that look bad in any setting (too flawed).


Same with DVDRs. We'd all burn panasonics (or whatever the DVD equivalent of Mitsuis is) if we had the money. But most of us don't - so we look for a compromise. Different compromises work for different people. Some can use the cheapest of the cheap and get away with it.


I'm still relatively new to the DVD-R burning gig. So far I've burned 20 Fujifilm DVD-Rs on my HS2 and am about 15-20 discs into a spindle of the DVD-Pro discs. No flaws so far. I might have been lucky so far and about to make coasters from the rest of my pile (hell I was sh*tting myself when I had ordered the bulk pack of discs and then read about people's success rate with Princo discs).


I get the impression that 90% of people who have used Memorex DVD-Rs have had massive problems with them. Out of all the brands I've read about, these sound the ones I'd stay away from (because until personal data proves my prior beliefs wrong, i'm inclined to believe what I read here). I'd suggest based on a statistical sample that princos are probably not a good idea for most people either. But it seems a presumptuous to come up with a definitive "these are the best DVD-Rs ever" unless you are ranking them on "what percentage of the population are able to use these discs without so much as a single coaster"


That said, the more data, the more informed my beliefs will get.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by calebu2
(until personal data proves my prior beliefs wrong, i'm inclined to believe what I read here). I'd suggest based on a statistical sample that princos are probably not a good idea for most people either. But it seems a presumptuous to come up with a definitive "these are the best DVD-Rs ever" unless you are ranking them on "what percentage of the population are able to use these discs without so much as a single coaster"


That said, the more data, the more informed my beliefs will get.


Steve
It also depends on which forum you read.

I read over at vcdhelp.com that Princos were very good, so I ordered 10 -R's and 10 -RW's.


I haven't had a single problem.


Then again, I'm burning with a Pioneer 7000 and an A-03.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update dec 11, 2002


first 2 pages of DVD-R brands


yet to come:

- second 2 pages DVD-R

- 2 pages DVD+R

- more details about the testing itself.


Erik
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leebo
He COULD tell you, but then he'd have to KILL you.
ROLF!


I WILL!


Yea, well I'm not THAT aggressive :D


Of course I want to tell what magazine it is: C'T Magazine, nr. 25


It is a German magazine, highly regarded and known for their thorough, detailed and often very technical test reports.


I'm busy translating.


Erik
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
Funny that the Imations fared so poorly considering they are simply rebranded Pioneer media.
Hi Jeff,


This is not true according to this test. :confused:


Maybe you can test your media with the tool described in the main article and let us know what the manufacturer of your discs are?


Manufacturer ID C'T test:


Imation: CMC00RG200

Pioneer: PVC001001


Erik
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
The test confirms that DVD-R is no different than CD-R when it comes to OEM roulette. Imation probably uses one of several manufacturers to produce discs. If you buy Apple DVD-R, sometimes it will be Pioneer media, other times it will be Verbatim media. It has also been discovered that media companies will use a different OEM based on whether the shipment is destined for European markets, Asian markets, North American markets etc.


The bottom line is that you can never be guaranteed of a fixed manufacturer origin even if you stick with one particular brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
The test confirms that DVD-R is no different than CD-R when it comes to OEM roulette. Imation probably uses one of several manufacturers to produce discs. If you buy Apple DVD-R, sometimes it will be Pioneer media, other times it will be Verbatim media. It has also been discovered that media companies will use a different OEM based on whether the shipment is destined for European markets, Asian markets, North American markets etc.


The bottom line is that you can never be guaranteed of a fixed manufacturer origin even if you stick with one particular brand.
You are absolutely right!


But as you can see in this test there are SOME manufacturers who make their own brand. (Panasonic, TDK, Pioneer, Maxell)


I personally will stick to Panasonic (Matsushita) because they have an EXCELLENT reputation for many decades now. I bought Panasonic DVD-R's for €/$ 4,40 which is not very cheap but I want to preserve my recordings for years to come. :rolleyes:


Erik.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
EDR, Thank you for great information.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top