Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hhawk
He may be right , but I also hear they dine on dogs over there so he may not have any taste:)
STOP THAT! I just sprayed my monitor again....

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Total baloney. As long as manufacturers continue to make DVD players that support both +/- and as long as manufaturers continue to make DVD burners that support both +/-, then BOTH formats are here to stay. There will be NO WINNER in the format wars with the possible exception of the consumer who has plenty of choices and risks little in terms of compatibility. The question is whether DVD-RAM will continue to thrive as a result of the significant momentum gained by Panasonic's significant lead in the stand alone DVD recorder market.

Sony, once a big DVD+ proponent now puts out a multi-format standalone recorder THAT DOESN'T RECORD TO DVD+R! Now you be the judge of whether DVD+R is going to knock DVD-R out of the ring.

In any event, the constant barrage of BS, misinformation, and propaganda from the DVD+ camp, not to mention technical mis-steps like the DVD+R rollout debacle ("Oh, we don't remember saying you could upgrade your HP 100i DVD+RW drive for +R compatiblity with a simple firmware update") and Philips less than reliable 985 DVD+R/RW recorder, and the the 25% or so premium one pays for DVD+R media vs. DVD-R make me WISH DVD+R/RW would just go away. But alas, it looks like its here to stay because there is no compelling, market driven reason for it to go away.

Vic

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Philips less than reliable 985 DVD+R/RW recorder, and the the 25% or so premium one pays for DVD+R media vs. DVD-R

Vic
Dude..no offense but get over it! :)

The 985 is a first generation recorder that came out like 1-1/2 to 2 years ago?? (and where were the other -R players BTW)

Sure it had problems, but things have changed quite a bit and so far the newest generation (my DVD75 for example), is working flawlessly.

As for paying a premium for DVD+R media...that's a bunch of BULL!

Compusa brand repeatedly offers BOTH plus R and minus R blanks at rock bottom prices. One week they may have +R for around a buck each with jewel case, the next, for example this week, they have a good deal on minus R's.

For me, I benefit from BOTH sales! I buy the -R for backing up my DVD's on my PC's if they're on sale(plays back fine on my +R Philips, unlike +R not playing on Panny's 99% of the time) and +R for the standalone. I get the best of both worlds.

If a friend needs a copy of something I always hand them a pre-recorded + and - R disc and ask them to test which plays on their players, so far it's been 100% +R playing and none of the -R's work...I'm lucky that I can play both types on my Philips and my Panasonic A110 DVD player.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I felt I had to chime in. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I almost fell into the DVD+ camp, although I am not totally ignoring it. As good fortune would have it (after a lot of study) however, I came to recognize the "unbeatability" of the PC HDD-like functionality of DVD-RAM and I got sold. I have remained so since, getting further boost from the excellent support for DVD-R that the DVD-RAM camp threw in... and the legendary build quality of Panas.

It has been ascertained that 99.9% of DVD players conform to the DVD-R standard, so I wouldn't worry my head that someone's friend's DVD-R's would not play on their machines. That sort of incompatibility might have been caused by a million other things.

Another reason to not ignore finalized DVD-R's, no matter their source: CD-R (write-once), ostensibly because of it's huge lead and costs advantages and less hassles, continues to make it near impossible for CD-RW (re-write-many) to reach it's development and penetration potential. Go figure with DVD+.

And Oh, DVD-RAM is going nowhere. May be more people will continue to use it for data back-up than use them for STB DVD-Recorders, the totality of the volumes will continue to guarantee the format's survival. In reality though, I consider that more and more DVD recording enthusiasts will recognize and favor DVD-RAM as this technology thrives along. The only functionality I currently miss with DVD-RAM is the inability to join content. If and when it is given that functionality, it will just become the video equivalent of audio's MiniDisc. Wow!

duwdu

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by duwdu
The only functionality I currently miss with DVD-RAM is the inability to join content. If and when it is given that functionality, it will just become the video equivalent of audio's MiniDisc. Wow!
You haven't looked at DVD-Moviealbum 3 that comes with the LF-D521 drive have you??? Not only will it let you 'join' programs, it will let you REARRANGE the order of segments on the disc (ahh. the joys of a 'linked list' file system).

Re-arrange, divide, shorten, join and physically remove (try that with a +R).

·
Registered
650 Posts
+R might be dominant in SE Asia and Europe but not so in North America. If -R is doomed, why am I having such a hard time finding -R blank media? Checked the local Futureshop and Staples and they are sold out AGAIN of -R media but there is a ton of +R on the shelves. Bully for you if you bought into multi-format, I just wanted to get a job done and have a good shot at compabability with friends' DVD players. At the time I bought my DVD-R/RW burner (March), the 4X +R/RW burners were more expensive. Costs of media have finally come down to the point where it no longer really matters what burner you buy. Go with what YOU need. Forget the hype...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
You haven't looked at DVD-Moviealbum 3 that comes with the LF-D521 drive have you??? Not only will it let you 'join' programs, it will let you REARRANGE the order of segments on the disc (ahh. the joys of a 'linked list' file system).

Thanks for the useful info Londo. I actually mean to do it on a standalone.

duwdu

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo

"Thanks for the useful info Londo. I actually mean to do it on a standalone."

Just to add that also, the E100 already lets me rearrange the order of segments on the disc.

duwdu

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
My post acknowleged that both formats are probably here to stay. I just find the BS coming from the DVD+ camp like the articles referenced above to be annoying. Case in point:

Quote:
so far it's been 100% +R playing and none of the -R's work

Forgive me if I find that a little hard to swallow. Care to share with us just how many times this happened?

I stand behind my statement of the +R prices. In general, this appears to be the case except when it comes to 4x rated media where +R is about the same price as -R. Perhaps the premium for the lower speeds is related to +R being 2.4x rated vs. 1x rated DVD-R media, who knows?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
My post acknowleged that both formats are probably here to stay. I just find the BS coming from the DVD+ camp like the articles referenced above to be annoying.
Thank you, I'm glad someone other than me jumped up to say that.. it's also interesting in the article that the reason the manuf's want the +R format is 'it costs less to make'...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Four times to be exact.
I didn't realize it was that many, this could be a significant finding. Maybe I should go back and re-evaluate my position on the formats. Perhaps I was too harsh and too quick to judge. Maybe I can think of some way such that all the DVD formats +/-/RAM/R/RW and DVD-Audio can live together as one in peace and harmony. Maybe, just maybe...

Nahhhh!

(Apologies to Steve Martin).

Gordon, the beauty of it all, as I stated in my original post, is that the hardware allows support of all the formats with little concern/risk for compatibility issues. So we can all pick our favorite format without resorting to baloney like "Is DVD-R Becoming Extinct?" and "DVD+R Will Dominate". We can agree to disagree, and still be happy about our choice of formats without guilt and buyers' remorse.

Best of luck and I hope Philips gets around to releasing a hard drive version to compete with Pannasonic, Toshiba, and Pioneer because more choices means more competition which is only good news for Joe Consumer.

Take care.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.