AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a burner in order to convert old VHS tapes into home-made DVDs. I have a DVD player, which will play in both the DVD+R and DVD-R formats.

My question is, should I go with a DVD+R burner or a DVD-R burner?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either format?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, it's kind of a loaded question. The "best" format depends on what you want to do with it. In general, DVD-R is slightly more compatible in stand alone players than +R, but not dramatically.

Try this site and this site for some general background on the formats. If there are specific burners you are looking at, post your questions about the model (though try searching the forum for past discussions, just so you're up to speed).

Another great general resource is DVDRHelp .

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are a lot of dual format burners under $150. Check out newegg. I would highly recommend going dual format, you can be flexible with media, chase the sales etc.

PS I agree with the previous poster, www.dvdrhelp.com is a great resource for burner related questions

·
Registered
205 Posts
In my limited experience with about 8-10 players over the years, you can't always rely on what a manufacturer claims their product plays or doesn't play. I have a dual format burner & have found the flexability well worth it. Especially if you ever plan to make home movies, etc to give to others with unknown players. If one format doesn't paly, it's no problem to burn another disk.

Having said that, it seems to me that the -R format is a bit more likely to work.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I highly recommend a dual format burner, but the results will depend in part with the brand of blanks you use, the software, and the burner. So far all my DVD-Rs work in everything current, but DVD+R does not, but I hope to cure that with a software upgrade. Actually +RW works in most current players better than +R, at least for me.

Dsmith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.