AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DMR E10 and DMR E20 and I have a lot of shows archived on DVD Ram and I was wondering what the general consensus is for long term archiving. Is DVD Ram or DVD-R better. I was contemplating transferring from DVD Ram to DVD-R because of the cost of DVD Ram. I did some research on this topic but did not find any threads so I apologize if I may have missed info on this topic. Thanks

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Lossless conversion of edited E20 DVD-RAMs to DVD-R is a holy grail. However, it appears based on the posts in this forum (use search keywords vro, DVD-RAM, E20) that since the E20 writes audio as dolby digital .ac3, only the few who have Spruceup have been able to make acceptable DVD-R's. Since you have both the E10 and E20, your best bet might be to play the DVD-RAM from the E10 and record directly from the E20 on DVD-R for permanent archiving and to free up your expensive DVD-RAM media. I'm told that the degradation that would occur from the D-to-A and A-to-D conversion and recompression is hardly noticeable. Try it and see. Cheap DVD-R that is compatible with the E20 can be obtained from Tigerdirect for $80US + shipping for a 50 disc spindle.

Good luck,

Vic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That was an excellent reply, Vic, you are right on the money; there is really no difference to the eye when going from RAM to DVD-R . I've tried an A & B comparison test with more than twenty people so far, and none could see a difference on a 60" Pioneer Elite).

Regards,

Peter M

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the input guys. I will try recording some from my E10 to my E20 and see how they turn out. I guess when you think about it the way things are changing so fast in the digital world I will be probably transferring them to newer formats in the near future anyway to somewhat keep up with the new technology. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ward

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.