AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched far and wide and read all types of reviews on DVD players here and on other sites. I was wondering if anyone out there with a 34xbr2 has a specific DVD player that they find works very well. I am leaning toward the RP-91, and Onkyo 800 or the Marantz 8300. I am thinking of waiting to see what the 931 from Samsung is going to be like, but I am looking for some feedback from XBR800 or XBR2 owners on their experience. I am currently running a Marantz DVD7000 and also have tried a DVP-700p from Sony -- Anyone have any reccomendations or at least what they may own? Thanks guys -- Rob

·
Registered
573 Posts
Rob

I have a Sony 34xbr800. My 3 year old Samsung DVD 709 connects via S video (AR Pro series 6' cable) and looks great from 7' viewing distance. I have watched about 400 DVDs on it so far ( www.netflix.com ) and it rarely skips even on rentals. Because the 34xbr800 has a DVI port, I am seriously considering the Samsung DVD HD-931 when it is available this summer.

The only brand I would avoid is JVC because there have been compatibility problems so unless you know someone who has a particular model of JVC working fine with a Sony display, be careful or have a return policy. Over on the DVD hardware part of the forum, the Panasonic xp30 and the Denon 1600 seem to be very popular. Some folks are bothered by the chroma bug and these two brands don't have it. Here is a link to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity DVD benchmark. The links at the bottom of the page really explain DVD players in great detail.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...on-9-2000.html

Good luck and happy hunting. :)

Rick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your speedy reply. I have had 2 nice players and am now on the hunt for a reference type player. I want something nice that has clean video output that looks great on the set. My Marantz sounds awesome and looks good, but I am looking for something a little smoother. Tough to find. The 931 looks good, as it has the Farooja chip in it. My fear is Samsung Quality. I am running mine Marantz with Monster 1000i Component Cables -- but I want something a little cleaner in progressive. I have thought about a 9000ES as well..hmmm

Thanks for you help :)

--Rob

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 34xbr800 converts the interlaced 480i to 480p. Since the xbr2 is a similar HDTV, I presume it does too. Some say a progressive scan dvd player looks better than interlaced because the upscaling is done in the dvd player rather than the TV and there is less digital > analog > digital conversion (so less noise). Some say the 34" screen is too small to tell the difference between 480p from the DVD player versus the 480p conversion in the TV set so it doesn't matter. Those who see a difference often report it as subtle and viewing distance may make a difference too.

The Samsung DVD HD931 sends an upscaled hi-definition image of a regular DVD through a HDCP compliant DVI port only. The component port on the Samsung transmits 480p or 480i but not 1080i or 720p. The thing I can't recall is whether the xbr2 has a HDCP compliant DVI port but since it came out in 2000 or 2001, I think it has firewire but no DVI. Is that correct?

Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rick,

That's pretty much what I thought. I see in your earlier post that you're using S video from the DVD to the TV. Why? Component video outputs give MUCH better performance.

·
Registered
573 Posts
hi jcurrin

My 3 year old Samsung 709 DVD player has no component port so the best I can do is S video. That is the reason I have been watching carefully for the release of the Samsung DVD HD931 with the DVI port. With the de-interlacer in the TV and a good (AR Pro) S video cable, DVDs look really good right now but I hope to be really impressed with hi-definition image quality instead of "just" 480p. :D

It is hard to know if I will use the component inputs on the 34xbr800. Maybe I can just skip that technology. Gee, do we have to use ALL the technology? :p

I only watch DVDs and a replaytv DVR (no HDTV or live TV). When comcast/at&t offers HD cable in Portland and I upgrade to some sort of HD DVR, which is a year or more away, I may use component or may be searching old posts on where to find a DVI splitter. :)

Rick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The XBR2 has no DVI, so the up-conversion is a no go :( Wish I had a DVI lol From what I understand, it is only for non-copyrighted dvds. Anyone heard any reviews on the ONKYO SP 800 or the Marantz 8300?

·
Registered
573 Posts
importspeed

From reading the Samsung DVD HD-931 thread that I linked to above, the DVI will scale regular copyrighted DVDs to high-definition but will transfer that image *only* through an HDCP compliant DVI port (I think "HDCP compliant" is the operative phrase here). Through component ports, it is 480p.

If you don't get much response here on individual DVD players, you might try posting on the DVD hardware part of the forum. Since AVSforum has gotten so busy and the search function doesn't always work, many of us no longer scan the entire forum so DVD fans may not wander to the direct view display threads as often.

Good luck on your new DVD player. :)

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.