AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...I'm hoping the forum can help me out with some info on DVD recorders.

Because I already have a DVD-R/RAM burner in my PC, I'm looking at picking up a DVD Recorder for my Home Theater centre. However, I don't know much about them.

I did some research at Panasonic's site and reading many of the threads here, I think that the Panasonic brand is one I'm going with. However, I keep reading a lot about a 'black' issue and various other items, so apologies if the answers are buried in other threads..I'm going to ask here anyway:

1. I'm thinking about getting one of these to replace a TiVo unit. Does the HS2 have Tivo like functionality (ie program guide and IR blaster) or is it more like a VCR where I have to program the cable box to change to a channel and then program the DVDr to record channel 3?

1a. Is there some sort of 'quick skip' like :30 to avoid the commercials? Is it pretty easy to edit them out?

2. From reading here, I assume the HS2 is the only way to go?

3. Does it record in a standard format so I can just pop the recorded DVD into my PC and watch it like a regular .mpg file? Am I able to do a full disc copy? Am I able to watch the burned DVD on my PC regardless of recording format (ie XP or LP or equivalent)

4. I love the DVD-RAM's ability to record while viewing (just like Tivo), and I'm guessing you only get about 4 hours of record time per DVD-Ram, correct?

5. Let's say I record ABC Sunday night from 9-10p EST. This is for Alias. How do I know it recorded to the HD/DVD? Will it say "Alias" or will it say 'recorded 4/27 on channel 8 at 9:00PM" or something?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
1. You need to set a timer on the recorder and also either leave the cable/sat box on the channel you want to record or set a timer on the cable/sat box.

1a. There is a 1 min skip function. Its very easy to edit commercials. Even easier on the PC (you will need the Panasonic DVD Movie Album software).

2. Thats up for debate. I have a DirTivo to catch the recordings I want, an E30 to archive and a DVD-RAM/R drive in my PC. The HD in the HS2 doesn't add much value to me. Others wouldn't buy a recorder without a HD. Since you are replacing a Tivo then the HS2 is probably your best bet (unless you want to wait for the next gen Panny HD unit which fixes the black level problem).

3. It records in whats called VRO format (which is a standard for DVD-RAM and DVD RW). Software DVD players like WinDVD can play the DVD-RAM disks directly from the drive regardless of recording quality. You can do a full disk copy depending on your OS/file system (FAT16 has 2G limit, FAT32 has 4G limit). The Panasonic PC DVD-RAM comes with software to work around these limits.

4. There are 4 recording modes:

XP - 1 hour

SP - 2 hours

LP - 4 hours

EP - 6 hours

Theres also an FR mode which lets you fill the disk given a specific duration (for example a 3 hour show can use the FR mode and get better quality then the LP mode).

5. The unit makes up a title (using channel/input source, date/time, etc). You can enter your own title via the remote.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.