AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long, long ago I used beta hifi as a source for high quality music recording. The idea was I could get high quality sound on one tape with a great deal of music, more than any other source available at the time. What about these new DVD recorders for taping big libraries of music (i.e., dvd length over cd length)? Would that work? How much music would go on a recorded DVD and what would the quality be? PCM, dolby digital? Thanks for any info.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I know what your talking about as I did the same you recorded your music on *line* with no video signal. A DVD could do that

but a VHS T-200 on EP would beat it in length 10 hours versus 4 hours on a 4.7 Gigabyte as the speed doesn't slow down to lenghten your disc.

If you want to got that route, connect with audio *only* and record all you want on EP total of 4 maximum on a singe layer disc or you wanted go opposite and get DVD-A to CD/VCR recording, just don't connect a 'video' cable. Pick what songs 'you' want on a party tape or CD Disc. I use Memorex T-200 which will handle 10 hours of EP *line* to record any CD, or DVD. There are limitless possibilities if you just want sound. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have thought about this a bit too as I used to use 3hr vhs hi-fi tapes for party compilations etc. I think you could probably get the 6hr max audio from the Panasonic HS2 but haven't tried it to see what the quality is like or if you also need a video input of some sort for it to function.

The quality should in theory be pretty good - it would be dolby digital 2 channel and I'm not sure what the sampling rate is but I haven't noticed any audio problems or concerns with anything i have recorded so far.

The HS2 also has an option to record in high quality PCM mode but only in XP record mode which limits the max time to 1 hour :-(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too have just recently been experimenting with using my Panasonic E-10 and E-20 for recording music. I have transferred a few LP's to DVD ram using the 1 hour, 2 hour and 4 hour mode on the E-10. The E-20 has a 6 hour mode which I have not tried yet. So far I have been pretty pleased with the results. I can't tell you what the bit-rate is, but by just listening with the naked ear I have a hard time telling the difference between the recording modes thats not saying that someone else might. It would be nice if you could extend past the 4 or 6 hour range since your not recording video, but I guess it doesn't work that way. I don't have a ram drive in my computer so I can't tell you what size the files are. The nice thing about DVD ram is they can be erased up to 100,000 times supposedly. Anyway as I said before I have just started experimenting and will continue to do so. If anybody has any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
I know what your talking about as I did the same you recorded your music on *line* with no video signal. A DVD could do that

but a VHS T-200 on EP would beat it in length 10 hours versus 4 hours on a 4.7 Gigabyte as the speed doesn't slow down to lenghten your disc.
Doesn't one of these recorders (I thought the HS2) have separate video and audio quality levels you can set in 'manual' mode?

I thought that the specs were something like 10 hours at the lowest video level.. So you could have the video at the lowest level (since obviously you can't go to 0) and audio at whatever level, and you _could_ then have more audio than you could have on a videotape, for example...?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattack
Doesn't one of these recorders (I thought the HS2) have separate video and audio quality levels you can set in 'manual' mode?

I thought that the specs were something like 10 hours at the lowest video level.. So you could have the video at the lowest level (since obviously you can't go to 0) and audio at whatever level, and you _could_ then have more audio than you could have on a videotape, for example...?
If you took the levels down, all you would accomplish would be the fact that you would have to turn your volume up when played back. VCR tapes come in T-120, T-130, T-160, and T-200 to be recorded or played at SP (Standard play) or EP (Extended play there use to be a LP (Long Play).

Standard play or Extended play to my audiophile ears has no difference. Although 2 channel you can record music that's Dolby Surround encoded. I know I have a unusal device that adds 2,000 milliseconds of reverberation and up to 100 times the depth of any know Receiver

even in the year 2002.

I can reproduce music that you think is in a cave, yet it can be from music on The Greek open air amphi-theatre in Los Angeles. What I use as a demo is the Dolby surround CD "Dirty Dancing in Concert" recorded Aug 14,15, and 16, 1988.

What blows most peoples minds is that I can use OOP Virtual listening System 5 sounds from low impedence headphones for a direct in ear dolby surround, a way to introduce your victim to a virtual reality in *sound* and partial sight.

In 1998 I used this technology to upgrade

Stargates only seen and heard ride to the Kalium Galaxy by Dr. Daniel Jackson(James Spader) I put people in front of my widescreen (32" panny in 98) pause the chapter 16, get the person to be looking at the screen, while you have the Denon AHD-750 30Ohm L.impedance headphones on him/her. Then you hit two remotes at the same time. One starts the DVD chapter the other turns on loudly the wierd sounds of Galaxy to Galaxy hop of 1,000 light years.

46 seconds of something your victim will never forget, my first words when my good friend Craig used his camcorder to record my reactions. My first words after that experience were "outta sight!" Rest of test confidential. You remember what the movie Brainstorm was about, that it could be used to harm or those that can remember a episode on Star Trek:TOS where Kirk is in a room with a device in the ceiling, emtying his mind while putting your Hungry in it. I don't want my marriage of 2 oop devices to harm anyone in any way. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used my E20 to copy a couple of rare CD's/

I don't see why you couldn't use the 6 hr mode to

record. It's bit-rate is still much higher than regular CD...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tammes
I used my E20 to copy a couple of rare CD's/

I don't see why you couldn't use the 6 hr mode to

record. It's bit-rate is still much higher than regular CD...
as a multi-purpose backup to my main karaoke system. The 6 hour ram mode can store close to 100 selections---there are songs in my regular system which tend to give me problems with skipping at high volume---once I copy them to dvd-ram, they remain unshakably stable. My ear cannot discern differences from the original---which is not to say there are none.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.