AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some dvd recorders have a firewire out connection. Is is possible to use this connection to transfer data from the recorder to a pc this way? It would be nice if you could just transfer your archived tv-shows to a pc hard drive. When you would run out of space in your dvd recorder hard drive, you could also transfer some data to your pc hard drive instead of burning the data to a dvd.

Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
155 Posts
IF the Firewire connection is TRULY an OUTPUT connection (as well as an input), then the quick answer would be YES.

I am not sure how this would affect any copy protected data, or in what file format it would end up on your PC. I've only had experience with DVI files transferred from Camera to PC, and from Camera to HS2.

Wasen't aware that there were any DVD set top boxes that had that capability, though...

jock

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't believe any of the current crop of SA DVDRs have FW OUT, just IN. I know it is a bi-directional port and surely COULD be enabled, but apparently for some reason -- and I'm guessing copyright issues -- the digital out is disabled.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
The Pioneer DVR-310 and DVR-510 have DV in/out capabilities. In the manual it states that content can be output to a camera as long "as there is no copy protection".

This is pretty good if you do PC editing as it will allow a higher quality picture than MPEG2 although 4 conversions will take place: MPEG video to DV out in recorder, DV input to MPEG2 conversion for pc editing, then MPEG2 conversion to DV out in the PC, then DV input to MPEG2 conversion in the Pioneer recorder. It seems that editing on the DVR-510 would be the most wise for maintaining quality but then again, loss may be very minimal to gain the customization of a DVD. 1 poster said Pinnacle software worked with the Pioneer Output but some other software wouldn't. I guess it would be worth the try, but be aware that most DVD authoring software burn DVDs with a HUGE LPCM 48Khz audio file that's about 1.3GB for a 2 hour DVD. That equates to filling the DVD with a 2 hour movie that's less than 4 mbps. That's pretty lossy quality caused by the huge LPCM audio file. Ulead Movie Factory ""3"" authors and burns using Dolby Digital 2.0 which only uses a ~400MB file for a 2 hour movie allowing that movie to fill a DVD with a bit rate of ~5mbps. That's pretty good quality and is the norm for stand alone recorders. Beware as Movie Factory 2 authors with LPCM, you need ''"3"".

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
DV input to MPEG2 conversion for pc editing,
Why convert to MPEG2 on the PC for editing? MPEG2 is a crappy native format for editing. Should just keep it as a DV avi file on the PC (which is more edit-friendly and compatible with a wider range of PC-based editing apps) and edit from there then you can input back to the recorder for on-the-fly conversion of the edited DV avi back to mpeg2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.