AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a Philips DVDR80 DVD Recorder and recently while playing movies I see intermittent flashes of what appears to be yellow lines streaking across the screen horizontally. This can happen every few seconds or just a couple times a minute. It will even occur on the blue background screen with no DVDs playing.

First, at the advice of Philps, I unplugged the DVD Recorder for more than two minutes, but this had no effect.

Philips technical support also recommended using a DVD cleaner disk, so I purchased the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner (Best Buy; Circuit City), but when I put the disk in my machine the DVD player ejected it twice. I then examined the disk and found that it had a chip in the under surface.

After this attempt, I tried playing another DVD and received not only the intermittent lines, but also audio dropouts, and then intermittent pixelated screens as well as intermittent pauses in the video. I don't know if this is something that can be attributed to the damaged DVD cleaner disk or just to my machine rapidly disintergrating. Now I have to decide whether to return the cleaner disk and get a new cleaner disk that could possibly solve the problems with my DVD player? (On back of DVD Lens Cleaner Maxell receommends that you clean your DVD player LENS after every ten hours of use. I have never done this before; is such use beneficial?)

Anyone with experiences or advice. Thanks.

P.S. If I need to buy a new DVD recorder, anyone know if any of the upcoming HD DVD players will also be able to record standard 480i signals?

And even though I have not been happy with the performance of the DVDR80 from day one (really a Beta machine with many bugs and extremely complicated - so much for Philips commericals with the baby saying, "everything in life should be this easy" - no truth in adverstising there), it does have a great system for adding thumbnails menus to recorded segments. Other DVD players have such menus and can anyone recommend an alternative to the Philips for downloading recordings from the HR 10-250 to DVD?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My gut tells me that intermittent horizontal streaks on the image aren't likely to be caused by difficulties reading the disc. Disc read problems are more likely to result in "macroblocking" where the image breaks up into small squares and then fills in again.

How is your DVDR connected to your display? You may have an intermittent video connection - try wiggling the cables to see if it causes more streaks. If so, then try unplugging and replugging the cables. If that doesn't work, try a different set of cables.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.