AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a DVD recorder available that will allow me to dump its disc contents to my laptop PC for editing and then dump it back via firewire(1394)?

Supposedly the Pioneer recorders have in/out but can my PC, via firewire and, for example, Adobe Premiere pull the data in, similarly to the way I can pull data to/from my Sony DVC camcorder?

Do the Sony recorders have bi-directional firewire?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The Panny's are only one way (in) but will take a feed from some PC software like Pinnacle Studio. Be advised that what you are proposing, if it is possible on a DVD recorder, will result in two lossy digital conversions as you convert from MPEG2 to DV (avi) and then again from DV back to MPEG2. Each of these conversions could incrementally degrade PQ somewhat. If you can get away with basic editing (cuts only, like removing commercials) then you should look at a DVD R with a hard disk and you can do all your editing on your deck. Alternately, you can record to DVD-RAM (or DVD-RW or DVD+RW) in VR mode and import the source program into the PC from the disk. This results in no loss but requires a compatible DVD drive in your PC plus your editing will be done on an mpeg2 file which is not easy nor frame accurate. If you need to do more sophisticated editing such as home videos or event videos that you have recorded, its best to import them directly into your computer as an avi file (like DV), edit them there and then import via firewire into the DVD recorder.

Vic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I'd be better off copying all my non-DV tapes (Betamax, Hi-8, S-VHS, VHS) to DV, and dumping them to my PC via firewire. Then doing any editing and dumping them back to DV after its done. Finally I would have to dump the DV tape to the DVD Recorder and let it do the DV-MPEG2 conversion. Would this scenario be the fastest and least lossless?

Can the Panasonic recorders with hard disks convert a DVD-RAM disk to a DVD-R disk by using the hard disk as a temporary storage area? By doing this am I converting the data causing any loss in quality or is it simply going to rearrange the files to make them DVD-R compatible?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like I'd be better off copying all my non-DV tapes (Betamax, Hi-8, S-VHS, VHS) to DV, and dumping them to my PC via firewire.
Some DV camcorders will convert analog to DV on the fly and allow you to feed it directly into your PC via your apps capture module. This would save the dubbing step. Otherwise, the scenario you describe would result in the least loss. Since you have some legacy analog material, dubbing to DVD on the recorder then outputting to via firewire would probably not result in significant degradation vs. the original material. In fact, some of the DVD recorders have pretty good analog filtering and time base correction which can really clean up an iffy analog signal. My original advice assumed that you were starting with a DV source to begin with.

Quote:
Can the Panasonic recorders with hard disks convert a DVD-RAM disk to a DVD-R disk by using the hard disk as a temporary storage area? By doing this am I converting the data causing any loss in quality or is it simply going to rearrange the files to make them DVD-R compatible?
Yes, the DMR-E80 (no firewire) and the DMR-E100 (firewire in only) can both

losslessly transfer a vr mode DVD-RAM program to the HDD and then losslessly burn the vr mode program to a DVD video compatible DVD-R

Vic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having read a few reviews of the Panny recorders, it seems that when they copy from DVD-RAM to HD, it is at low resolution LP speed. Is this true? I was hoping to do my draft editing in DVD-RAM mode and then once its all done transfer it to DVD-R for finalizing.

In terms of MPEG encoding quality, it seems that the Pioneer decks are the champs, can anyone confirm this or compare it to Panny/Philips/Sony?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Having read a few reviews of the Panny recorders, it seems that when they copy from DVD-RAM to HD, it is at low resolution LP speed. Is this true?
No, it transfers the recording from DVD-RAM in high speed direct digital mode. So the recording will be duplicated on the HDD exactly as it appears on the DVD-RAM. The limitation is that you can't transcode from say XP to SP (real time dub) when going from the DVD-RAM to HDD. No such limitation exists when dubbing from the HDD to DVD-RAM.

Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.