AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony VRD-VC20. I had no problem transferring programs (not copy protected) from my DirecTV R15 DVR until yesterday. I transferred a program from a local channel. Two hours later, the DVR downloaded a software upgrade. When I tried to transfer another program from the same channel, I got the "record prohibited" message. I tried several other recorded programs from basic channels and got the same message. DirecTV, of course, was no help as to why it worked before the upgrade and not after.

If it is the Sony that is misreading the signal from DirecTV, any suggestions on what unit I should purchase?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a vdr vc10 and the only things i cant record are hbo and ppv.

if i were you i would look into some of the panasonic recorders or toshibas d-410. both can record protected channels.

i just bought a panasonic dmr-ez28k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I would just like to be able to record the non protected channels that I could record until the upgrade. I'm just finding out that the Sony's are know for giving "false" positives. I guess I have been lucky up until now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a panasonic EH50 and I can record directly from any Directv channel. If your talking about the 64a upgrade, it has not made any difference in my ability to record.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
All our older recorders don't seem to have any problem with it. They just build something into the newer ones (from the last couple or so years) that will pick it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude5382 /forum/post/14274815

I have a panasonic EH50 and I can record directly from any Directv channel. If your talking about the 64a upgrade, it has not made any difference in my ability to record.

The last Directv upgrade was done on July10th and shows as Ox121E. My Sony DVDR is about 2 years old and had no problem recording non-premium channels until the upgrade.

If I going to have to get a new DVDR, I'd like to get a combo, DVDR/VCR to save on space.

I have a Directv R15 DVR that I would like to hook to the unit in order to save various non-premium programs to DVDs.

Thank you for your help.

Karen

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
If you want to stick with Panasonic then you'd want to look at a EZ-48. Best price seems to be at Sams or Costco if you have a membership. Buying from them also should include the HDMI cable, something that "could" cost you a fair amount if you bought it at the wrong place.

If you wanted to go

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone know for a fact that the upgrade has deliberately prevented recording onto DVD? If so, that's a major degradation of service -- one that I can't imagine customers accepting.

If not, you might need a simple reset or resending of signal.

I had the same problem more than once after R15 upgrades. Neither Panasonic nor Sony DVD recorders would record any longer. DirecTV customer "service" of course didn't know anything. In fact, I got one idiot who made me read the manual to him -- the point that says users can record to VCR. He ultimately, literally, screamed at me, "Since it's not in the manual, you can't do it" -- refusing to accept that I'd done it for months. And, of course, he was a supervisor.

I hung up & finally (after a few tries) got someone who said that of course it was doable & the problem was that something glitched in an upgrade. We did something, & it worked for months until another upgrade screwed it again. Another quick fix was all it took.

Keep trying until it works, or until DirecTV admits they've done it on purpose. For those of us who archive many hours per week onto DVD, that would be the deal-breaker.

Right now, the R15 is stuck on a cycle between 2 blue screens saying "unplug for 1 minute" and "leave on for 30 minutes." The messages cycle around, after the actions are performed. I'm going to post about that now. Any suggestions here? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you want to stick with Panasonic then you'd want to look at a EZ-48. Best price seems to be at Sams or Costco if you have a membership. Buying from them also should include the HDMI cable, something that "could" cost you a fair amount if you bought it at the wrong place.

I'm not sold on any brand or model at this point. I've just read, on this forum, that that Panasonics are better with false error messages. All I want to be able to do is to record non-copy protected shows from my DVR to DVD and to transfer old VHS tapes and home movies to DVD.

I do not have HD TV at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc56 /forum/post/14282305

I'm not sold on any brand or model at this point. I've just read, on this forum, that that Panasonics are better with false error messages. All I want to be able to do is to record non-copy protected shows from my DVR to DVD and to transfer old VHS tapes and home movies to DVD.

I do not have HD TV at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Check out the Philips DVDR3576H/37, with 160GB HDD that'll make your recording and copying life much easier.

Click my signature for lots of organized info.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14282319

Check out the Philips DVDR3576H/37, with 160GB HDD that'll make your recording and copying life much easier.

Click my signature for lots of organized info.

Just know that the Philips does not allow you to create playlists. As such, you can not create a DVD by selecting video segments from several titles you have created. Plus you have to do all editing through a small window.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the only thing I'm doing is taking several days recordings of various DIY shows from my DVR and putting them on a DVD for future reference, what type of machine would I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc56 /forum/post/14290813

If the only thing I'm doing is taking several days recordings of various DIY shows from my DVR and putting them on a DVD for future reference, what type of machine would I need?

Thanks

You could use one of the tunerless DVDRs like the Toshiba 400 or 410 (I think those are the models). They're fairly recent threads, so a search should turn them up.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc56 /forum/post/14290813

Thanks

Probably the cheapest model you can find would would be good.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can someone explain this better? Are you saying I can't create a DVD that has three episodes of a TV show I have recorded? I can only put one title into each DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/14283438

Just know that the Philips does not allow you to create playlists. As such, you can not create a DVD by selecting video segments from several titles you have created. Plus you have to do all editing through a small window.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch /forum/post/14294283

Can someone explain this better? Are you saying I can't create a DVD that has three episodes of a TV show I have recorded? I can only put one title into each DVD?

No, you can put how many titles will fit on a DVD based on rec mode and running time... that is, they just have to fit the total capacity of a DVD.

With a Panny, Pioneer or Toshiba, you can edit titles in a "playlist" where you're working on a virtual copy of the original title, which preserves the original untouched by edits you make.

With the Philips 3576, you're editing on the original title in an editing window that's plenty big enough for edits by normal people.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14294323

With the Philips 3576, you're editing on the original title in an editing window that's plenty big enough for edits by normal people.

That's the only way I've edited on my Panasonics. My window is maybe 1/3rd size and it works just fine. I sure wouldn't let that stop you from getting the Philips. I've never used playlists

·
Registered
2 Posts
have two yr old LG RC199H combo and a new LG DR787T dvd only. both record "copy once" material on DVD-RW CPRM compatible discs, in VR mode: ie, programs that cannot be recorded on DVD-R video mode. I beleive HBO, PPV etc intend to allow "copy once" for these programs, it is just that no recorder I know of can do it in DVD-R video, and not all recorders are DVD-RW CPRM compatible. ( Copyright Protection for Recordable Media ). Also expect difficulty find suitable RW CPRM discs. JVC DVD-RW 4X version 1.2 from Amazon work great in both of my machines for DirecTV broadcasts, high def on one and standard def on the other.

Tom Tequila

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Regarding this DirectTV dubbing lockout, the OP can solve her problem by getting any Panasonic recorder she finds in local stores or going for the Phillips 3576 which is not much more expensive. Panasonic and Phillips are not overly sensitive to false copy-protect signals. The latest Sony and Toshiba models in US stores apparently have much higher sensitivity to this. Since it appears to be an ongoing problem every time DirectTV upgrades itself, I'd strongly advise trying a new recorder NOW, while the problem is still obvious: buy one at WalMart or Circuit City or Best Buy, they have 30 day money-back no questions asked guarantees so you can get a refund if the new recorder is also locked out by DirectTV. If the new recorder also has a problem, your only option is to buy an accessory "clarifier" to hook up between the DirectTV box and your DVD recorder, this would subdue the "false positives" no matter what DirectTV changes in future.

On a related note, after being a dormant issue for awhile, I have noticed an uptick in posts recently disparaging machines that do not have the supercalafragilistic authoring and playlist features of "classic" Toshibas and Panasonics. For the sake of the newbies coming here for info regarding *what they can actually buy today in a store*, I would respectfully ask those members to rephrase or rethink their critical posts a little bit.
Those phenomenal Toshibas are gone, period: long discontinued, cannot buy them new anywhere, and they are a bad risk second-hand for a newbie. If we're chatting about the benefits of various vintage machines or related issues, fine, but promoting them to a total newb doesn't really get us or them anywhere. Same thing with the Panasonics: the classic Pannys with hard drive are gone, first from USA, recently from Canada. The new Panny models without HDD can make playlists using DVD-RAM, but casual users want a standard DVD-R they can pass around, so no go.

For HDD editing, this pretty much leaves the Phillips 3576 in the USA, for however much longer it remains available, and the Pioneer units in Canadian stores or available thru internet sales. The Phillips will do basic editing but not make a playlist, the Pioneers have pretty elaborate playlist options available. The Phillips is half the price of the cheapest Pioneer, at least for a USA resident. For those with big wallets, special "worldwide" models of Panasonics with HDD are available online and at some stores: a good choice for the dedicated hobbyist, but might be confusing to use for a newbie. Otherwise, if you just want a simple machine to back up DirectTV or cablePVR recordings to DVD with no elaborate editing, most any DVD recorder will do nicely (although you may need the "clarifier" accessory depending on your TV service provider.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a sony DVD Recorder/VHS combo unit that is a couple of years old. I have had no problems at all with this unit until recently. Until a month or two ago, I was able to record Pay Per View movies onto a DVD. The DirecTV documentation says that users are allowed to record one copy of a rented movie, and this is in fact how our setup worked -- we could record movies that we rented, one time. If we tried to watch the movie a second time and record the second showing, we would get a "you cannot record copy protected movie" warning. However, as of about a month ago, we cannot record PPV movies at all. We get the copy protected warning even if we have not yet made a copy of the movie. Is there a way to fix this? Does anyone know if the problem is due to some change in the signal from DirecTV, or if there is some way to reset or ?? the DVD/VHS unit so that it will work the way it used to?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts