AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not hard to find info about systems that defeat copy protection, such as CGMS-A and Macrovision, but it's harder to find info on systems that support it.

I work for a company that makes a satellite STB and I need to test the copy protection capabilities. I'm looking for a list of DVD recorders that support CGMS-A, but it's really hard to find.

The manufacturers don't seem to want to advertise whether their boxes support it.

Does anyone know which DVD recorders support CGMS-A, or where I can find a list?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ook ook /forum/post/0

It's not hard to find info about systems that defeat copy protection, such as CGMS-A and Macrovision, but it's harder to find info on systems that support it.

I work for a company that makes a satellite STB and I need to test the copy protection capabilities. I'm looking for a list of DVD recorders that support CGMS-A, but it's really hard to find.

The manufacturers don't seem to want to advertise whether their boxes support it.

Does anyone know which DVD recorders support CGMS-A, or where I can find a list?

Thanks!

Strike the Polaroid 2001G off your list. It sees nothing CGMS related.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Panasonic recorders do and Toshiba recorders are overly sensitive -- people have reported their Toshiba recorders flagging home VHS videos as copy-protected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the same situation with Ook ook I need to test my CGMS-A implementation but I am not sure whether my LG DRT389H supports CGMS-A, LG support guy wasn't helpful. Did you find a one that respects CGMS-A ?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Three years ago all models supported CGMS-A at a fairly consistent level, but once the ATSC transition got underway, things went totally to hell and now its a grey area. All recorders are supposed to react to CGMS-A, but something in the implementation of ATSC or readiness for ATSC messes with this reaction in various ways. Some brands, like Panasonic and Magnavox, remain about where they were in the pre-ATSC days: steady and consistent, reacting only in the presence of distinct true CP flags. Others, especially Sony and some recent Toshibas, choke on commercial breaks and other random signals that are technically not protected. Most brands run down the middle, behaving normally most of the time but reacting oddly often enough to make them problematic.

If you need to check CGMS-A response for business reasons, you'll want to try with both major classes of machine. To test "official" responsiveness, get a Panasonic EZ-28 (only this model, other Pannies have issues unrelated to CGMS detection that can engender false responses). Or, a Magnavox H2160. To test against "trigger happy" recorders, use any current Sony.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbilen /forum/post/17079299

I am in the same situation with Ook ook I need to test my CGMS-A implementation but I am not sure whether my LG DRT389H supports CGMS-A, LG support guy wasn't helpful. Did you find a one that respects CGMS-A ?

What are you using to generate the CGMS-A code? If what you need is a way to test that your code is implemented correctly, there is a way to verify that it is. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15 and have verified with the Video Filter which generates CGMS-A code, that it responds correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CitiBear: Is the Panasonic EZ-28 you recomended same with this Panasonic DMR-EZ28EB-K , I found this model on amazon.co.uk.

Logic Design : Yes I'll test the implementation on a settop box.

Thanks for both answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts