AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a recorder that has DV inputs. Don't need VCR and HD. Price range of $250 or less. I know of:

Samsung R120

Lite-On 5005

I don't like what I have heard from either of these, so I am still looking. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If the original poster doesn't like the Samsung or the LiteON, I seriously doubt he'll be willing to put up with the CyberHome.

Gregg, if you're willing to stretch your budget by another $50, the new Sony RDR-GX315 has the DV-in you require. Just beware that it lacks a rear s-video input.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
If the original poster doesn't like the Samsung or the LiteON, I seriously doubt he'll be willing to put up with the CyberHome.

Gregg, if you're willing to stretch your budget by another $50, the new Sony RDR-GX315 has the DV-in you require. Just beware that it lacks a rear s-video input.
Damn you got me all excited until you said no rear s-video input. I mean how can a $300 recorder not have that? I am thinking I will have to go with the Samsung R120 since there seems to be no real alternative for a name brand company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't know how you feel about buying a refurb unit, but I just bought a refurb Toshiba D-KR2 on eBay for about $120. So far, I'm in awe of it. Lots of features and it does a fabulous job on the copies I've been making of old VHS tapes.

It has the DV input on the front that you're looking for and THREE S-video inputs - two on the back and one on the front! You can pick one up on eBay for between $100 and $130. There is a downloadable manual for this unit on Toshiba's web site in case you're interested in checking it out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the Samsung R120 and am quite happy with it. I also own a Cyberhome 1600 ZU and I can tell you there's no comparison, the video is far superior on the Samsung for both recording and playback. Just make sure to flash the latest firmware onto it as it fixes a bug that existed with the DV stability, which is no longer an issue with the firmware upgrade. I believe there may be some new multiformat units with DV inputs from LG/Zenith worth considering too -- those use the same LSI chipset as the Samsung.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.