AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I an totally confused. I am 54 yrs old and just learning this stuff so be gentle. OK

1. I have the 3 component video cables going from the DVD to the TV, I know what they do.

2. I have the digital optical cable (toslink) going from the DVD to the receiver, I don't know what it does but I know I need it.

1st question: Do I also need a digital coax or is it one or the other?

2nd question: The 2 audio out (RCA) cables from the DVD, I have one pic showing them going to the Tv and another pic showing them going to the receiver, which is it?

3rd question: What other cables are needed if any? I have a pic showing a video cable (Svideo or RCA) going from the DVD (out) to the receiver (in)?

I need one of you experts to talk me thru the connections!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The toslink cable that you have connected to the receiver is for audio. Since you've already got the component cables going to the TV, you should be all set.

It's really your choice whether to use the digital coax or toslink. It's a digital signal, so either is just as good as the other...unless you're running this cable a very long distance.

The manual for your DVD player is probably showing several ways to connect audio. The 2 RCA audio cables aren't necessary since you've already got the toslink connected.

The manual is also showing two other ways to get the video signal to your TV, S-Video and Composite (RCA). Again, since you've got the component cables connected, you can just ignore these other cable types.

So, does everything appear to work correctly? Do you get video and audio from the DVD player?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply.

I knew I needed the digital connection from the DVD to the recv but didn't know what it's purpose was. I'm going to print your reply and check my connections.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caleb, if you are still there'

Along side the 3 component video cables going from the DVD (out) to the TV (in) is a pair of audio cables (RCA) . Do I need them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only if you want the sound to come from the TV rather than through your receiver. You'll get better sound through your receiver.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
rick,

You've got a digital toslink connection already setup for audio. Those audio cables are for a L/R analog connection (in case your receiver did not have a digital input).

Your scenario is:

- 3 RCA cables (YPrPb/component) cables from the DVD to the TV for video

- 1 Digital toslink cable from the DVD to the receiver for audio

That's all you need. Ignore all other connections.

Make sure you setup the correct input on the TV and the correct input on the receiver, kick back and it's showtime.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys.

Us old guys are not use to this Hightec a/v. Everything in our time was coax and RCA!

Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Gents, what don't I know!

I made all the connections and played my 1st DVD (TopGun) and NO CENTER CHANNEL! Only 3 channels are displayed on the receiver (L,R,Surr)I checked all the connections and my menus and still no center channel. I tried another DVD and all 5 channels are displayed on the receiver and the center channel has returned. All of my discs say Dolby Digital but they are producing different forms of audio and using different speaker setups. Did I not read that somewhere on this forum or do I have a problem.

I'm standing by!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
rick,

Got your PM and we'll get you through this.

Did you choose DD 5.1 or Dolby surround from the Top Gun DVD menu?

What DVDs worked properly?

What kind of receiver do you have?

Does your receiver have a pro-logic setting?

Can you tell your receiver to auto detect between DD and pro-logic?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bob.

I have a Pioneer DD and Dolby Pro logic a/v receiver. It also has 5.1 capability but I hooked it up for DD. I did the Digital connection to the recv with the Toslink and not the 5.1 connections.

I tried several DVDs, some indicated that all 5 speakers were working, some indicated the center channel was not working.

What else you need.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
No, I understand that you're using the toslink connector. Please re-read my 5 questions and specifically answer them. If you don't know an answer, say 'I don't know'

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D498 recv.

Recv has decoding for for DD and Prologic.

PM says recv can only play back DD, PCM (32-44&48) digtal format signals.

Never used 5.1 format.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Put in the Top Gun DVD. When you get to the main menu, choose SET UP (rather than PLAY). At the next screen, choose AUDIO OPTIONS. At the next screen, choose ENGLISH 5.1 SURROUND (rather than ENGLISH DOLBY SURROUND). Go back to the main menu and choose PLAY.

Report back what happens.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
rick PMed me.

He did as I said and achieved success but doesn't understand why. Instead of PM him back, I figured I'ld just explain it here for anyone else who is confused.

Inputs/Outputs:

There are 2 ways to connect an audio component (DVD, CD, VCR, TV, HTPC, etc.) to a receiver --> Analog and digital.

Analog:

An analog connection passes an analog signal to the receiver. For decades, this was how sound went from a component to a receiver usually in terms of a left and right rca connection. Many of you out their probably have their vcrs connected this way right now either to their TVs or their receivers.. Eventually analog sound went from 2-channel stereo (L/R) to 6-channel 5.1 (C, L, R, RS, LS, SW). When the receiver receives this signal, it doesn't need to decode (DAC) the signal since it's already analog. The receiver simply amplifies and sends it out. Some DVD players and HTPCs have incorporated these 6 channel outputs onto their units so that a straight 6-channel analog signal can be sent to the receiver. In these cases, the DAC (digital-analog conversion) takes place inside the component rather than inside the receiver. The reason why a 6-channel analog feed to a receiver would be beneficial is two-fold.

1) The DAC inside the component is superior to the DAC inside the receiver, or,

2) The receiver doesn't have a DAC/appropriate decoder

Digital:

The other option is to use a digital connection between a component and the receiver. In this case, the digital stream is sent to the receiver for decoding and conversion rather than having it done in the component. There are multiple reasons why this would be preferred over an analog connection, even a 6-channel (5.1) audio connection, and I won't go into it now. There are 2 ways to connect digitally - a coax (spdif) or a toslink optic fibre (spdif).

Now onto the Top Gun DVD. DVDs often come with multiple audio options of which the most popular are Dolby pro-logic (fake surround), DD (Dolby Digital) 5.1 (discrete surround) and DTS 5.1 (discrete surround). All DVDs have a default audio selection which means that if you press PLAY without choosing the audio, something will be selected. For new movies/DVDs this is often DD 5.1. For older movies/DVDs, it was often pro-logic. Top Gun is one of those. If you don't choose DD 5.1, you're getting pro-logic. Rick was getting pro-logic. Once rick chose DD 5.1, all his speakers worked. The Avia disk obviously defaults to DD5.1. Any DVD that defaults to DD 5.1 will use all speakers with a discrete signal. It is always a good practice to take a tour through the audio/language options just to make sure you are choosing the best sound.

Bottom line, provided you have a DD/DTS receiver, it does not matter whether you have an 6-channel analog or a digital connection. If the DVD has 5.1 sound, and you select it, you will hear 6-channel discrete audio under either connection scenario.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.