Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I´m using powerDVD 3.0 with DVD region killer and it doesn´t perform.

When I press play on powerDVD it states that "this DVD player is set to region 2. It can only play disks with this format" (freely translated from swedish). What do I do wrong?

Thomas

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Do you have a region free DVD drive in you machine ??

Region Killer takes care of the windows SW side but the HW must also be region free...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phat Phreddy,

I have pioneer DVD wich I have flashed to make it region free. Wich it is according to Drive Region Info V2.1. I don´t think that the problem is there.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
And if you manually Rt Click the systray icon and change to R1 does it then work or is it total failure ??

What version of windows and had you hit your 5 change lockout in windows (I am not too experienced at this as my region free setup has been lucky but I hear if you exceed your 5 lockout in windows before using an app like Region killer / DVD Genie then you are also SOOL) before taking measures...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phat Phreddy,

sh....t, total failure.

I´m using w2000, so you´re saying that there are a limitation in windows itself, also?

Have I understood this wrigth?

1. The DVD rom drive is region limited ( which I have taken care of through a hardware flash)

2. PowerDVD is region limited (which should be taken care of by DVD region killer)

3. AND, there are limitations in WINDOWS.

WHAT DO THEY THINK, That we will try to do private import of DVDs or what, I thogth that we llived in a free world.

( Sorry I´m just frustrated)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm using DVD Region Killer v2.3 on W2K SP2 with a Pioneer 16 speed DVD drive. Requirements are that you already have patched your DVD drive with an RPC-1 bios.

DVD Region Killer fakes an RPC-2 drive towards the OS and changes the faked fixed region on the fly.

Players like WinDVD 3.0 and PowerDVD 4.0 buy this trick and trust the security of the OS, while WinDVD 4.0 keeps it's own counter so it doesn't work with DVD Region Killer.

Re-installing WinDVD 4.0 resets the counter to 5 :) There should be easier methods, but DVD Genie doesn't recognise the latest WinDVD.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To take care of the Windows limitation (assuming that's what's causing problems), do either one of these:

1) Do a format, and reinstall Windows. Windows keeps the counter in software, so wiping everything will guarantee that Windows doesn't know about your hijinks.

2) http://www.inmatrix.com/articles/win2000.shtml

Go through the information there, see if it helps.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You only need to worry about windows's counter if you have hit the max before using tools to prevent it...

Shame WinDVD4 is being difficult

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ts.T
Burned&Warped,

I sure did.
TsT,

if you've taken care of the HW region-free by flashing the BIOS, then I'm afraid Phat Phreddy is right, i.e. "...but I hear if you exceed your 5 lockout in windows before using an app like Region killer / DVD Genie then you are also SOOL", at least with WinDVD4.0 ...until you can hack the player.

I have no prob whatsoever with PowerDVD3+DVD Genie, though.. I've been switching (uninstalled and reinstalled) between the PowerDVD3 and WinDVD3 w/o prob in W2K SP2 & with or without DVD Genie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now keep in mind that I haven't taken a good look at my changes left counter for a while now and I am not at my home PC. With that said, I did install region-killer last night and tested it between 3 DVDs. Worked like a charm for me using Cinemaster.

Now, I have re-installed W2k a couple of times between now and when I flashed my DVD-ROM. As I recall, after flashing my DVD-ROM, windows listed I had 1 change left. I think the first time I re-installed, I had 5 changes left again, but I am not 100% certain.

I'll check sometime this weekend as I don't know what time I'll be getting home tonight and post another reply. It will suck big time to have to re-install the OS, but at least you will get to enjoy your region free DVD-ROM.

In case you are truely feeling desperate, I checked the number of changes left on my DVD-ROM and it looks like it did get reset after the last re-install. Step of last resort if nothing else pans out. Of course, you could always look to borrow another region-free DVD-ROM instead of re-installing the OS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
TsT:

For DVD Region killer to work you must have it running in the tray and also VERY important - no SW DVD-player running. Also, you have to disable auto-start of any DVD-players (at least I could not get it to work with WinDVD).

So, when you have a newly booted OS and DVD Region killer running insert a DVD and after a few seconds you should see the pointer change to "working in background". After that you should be able to start your SW DVD-Player and it should not complain about wrong region code ;)

Hope this helps,

Thomas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.