AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my PC last year and was running Windows ME. I did a flash upgrade to make the Toshiba DVD drive region free and used DVD Genie to make the ATI player region free.

I just upgraded to XP and have had to install all new software. But now I can't change regions.

When I put in a region 2 DVD, the ATI player seems to chnage to region 2, but a split second later I get a message in a dialogue box (with the name and model of the DVD drive at the top) saying that I am not alowed to change the region any more.

But when I run Drive Region Info, it tells me that the drive has no region protection.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kero,

Do you have any experience with Regionkiller 2 or DVD Region-Free? If so, do they work well?

I guess the thing that's really baffling me is that Drive Region Info tells me my DVD drive is RPC-1, but I keep getting a 'Toshoba DVD Drive' dialogue box saying the DVD drive can't change regions any more.

These messages would seem to contradict each other.

I forgot to say in my original post:

After I installed XP then installed DVD Genie, when I put a Region 1 disc in, I got a box saying I could only change region once more. At the time, I assumed this was an ATI DVD Player dialogue box (cos you normally get that when you first set up DVD Genie), but I think it was probably the Toshiba one.

Maybe I should just get an RPC-1 drive - I've heard the Toshiba SD-M1212 is a good one.

Marcus

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked at this again, and I think there might be a problem with DVD Genie.

When I use the RPC facility in DVD Genie, I get a message saying that for the RPC check to work you need to have "wnaspi32.dll" in your windows system directory (C:\\Windows\\System32).

I don't know what that means, but it doesn't look good.

Marcus

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JasperJ,

I've done some searches, but I haven't been able to find out exactly what ASPI drivers actually do (you might have gathered that I'm not exactly a PC expert).

Do you mean that not having these drivers could be what's preventing my PC from switching regions, or is it just causing the DVD Genie RPC check not to work?

If these drivers are needed, I'm surprised they're not included with Windows, or the video card drivers or DVD software.

Although when I first started up DVD Genie in XP, it asked me if I wanted to delete something in Windows (I can't remember what it was now). I said yes. Maybe it was the ASPI drivers...

Regards - Marcus

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus wood
JasperJ,

I've done some searches, but I haven't been able to find out exactly what ASPI drivers actually do (you might have gathered that I'm not exactly a PC expert).

Do you mean that not having these drivers could be what's preventing my PC from switching regions, or is it just causing the DVD Genie RPC check not to work?

If these drivers are needed, I'm surprised they're not included with Windows, or the video card drivers or DVD software.

Although when I first started up DVD Genie in XP, it asked me if I wanted to delete something in Windows (I can't remember what it was now). I said yes. Maybe it was the ASPI drivers...

Regards - Marcus
installing the ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programming Interface) should be standard on all machines, since it is used for communication of IDE devices, not just SCSI as the name would imply. usually, it's installed when a SCSI controller card is in a system.

not really sure if it's the reason you can't switch regions or not, but it may have something to do with it. i'd just get the ASPI drivers from Adaptec (since they developed this 'standard').

also, you might wanna try Regionkiller. it's pretty easy to use, just let it run in the systray on 'Automatic Region'. it should change the region based on the disc inserted. nothing against DVDGenie, as it's also a great prog for region probs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ASPI was originally developed by Adaptec as a standard method of accessing SCSI devices from applications (essentially a standardised frontend for their drivers), but later when ATAPI was developed, which all cd and other optical drives use and which is shortest described as "SCSI over an IDE cable", it became the standard method for communicating with cd drives at a lower level than filesystem -- burning CDs, switching discs in a multidisc drive, reading the dvd region with DVDgenie..

Not having the ASPI drivers will prevent DVDGenie from using them to determine whether the drive is RPC1 or RPC2, and if RPC2 which region. I'm not entirely sure how RPC1 works off hand -- it might be "no region in the drive", in which case it shouldn't make a difference whether DVDGenie knows that as then the main thing is to get the software player to the right region, which is not affected, but it may also be that RPC1 just means "unlimited region changes", in which case not having ASPI drivers would prevent DVDGenie from switching said region appropriately. I don't think using other Region software programs will help much, as I think they all use the ASPI layer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus wood
Kero,

Do you have any experience with Regionkiller 2 or DVD Region-Free? If so, do they work well?

I guess the thing that's really baffling me is that Drive Region Info tells me my DVD drive is RPC-1, but I keep getting a 'Toshoba DVD Drive' dialogue box saying the DVD drive can't change regions any more.

These messages would seem to contradict each other.

I forgot to say in my original post:

After I installed XP then installed DVD Genie, when I put a Region 1 disc in, I got a box saying I could only change region once more. At the time, I assumed this was an ATI DVD Player dialogue box (cos you normally get that when you first set up DVD Genie), but I think it was probably the Toshiba one.

Maybe I should just get an RPC-1 drive - I've heard the Toshiba SD-M1212 is a good one.

Marcus
Sounds like the WinXP region selection box. It will only let you change the region once. But DVD Genie can erase the registry key, and let you change it an unlimited number of times. Remember RPC-1 drives have the protection in software. Both the OS (winXP) and the DVD player software must be set to the correct region.

AFAIK no drives come RPC-1 now, they are all RPC-2. Some are easier to turn into RPC-1 than others. The Lite-On 166S is very easy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the ASPI driver, but the RPC check on DVD Genie still didn't work - I just didn't get an error message any more.

However, I installed Regionkiller, and now that's enabled me to play R1 and R2 discs. In fact I prefer it to DVD Genie as it's less obtrusive.

Thanks to everyone for their input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.