AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time here. I am in the progress of buying a Sumsung HL-R5667W DLP set. I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at my newly (Internet) ordered pride and joy and trying to obtain some education on DVD recorders. The Samsung like mine that I was looking at was pasty and pixelated, they said analog on dish network. I was disappointed. I asked them if that was the best signal I could expect with a DVR. Salseman didn't know and got bumped up twice to the expert. He said if I get my signal OTA to the TV and (HDMI or DVC not sure) to DVR, it's a 480 signal and thats it. I can't believe it. I did some research and found a DVR that seems to do what I wanted. These are the particulars:

Off-air terrestrial hdtv receiver

*Dolby® Digital (5.1 Channel Surround Sound); Optical & Coaxial *Digital Audio

*Constant 480i Output via S-Video &Composite Connectors to Analog TV/VCR

*Tunes & Decodes All 18 Approved ATSC HDTV Broadcast Formats

*"Update" & "Rescan" Auto Channel Scanning Functions

*Multi-Lingual Audio & Digital Closed Caption Support

*Selectable HDTV Output Formats: 1080i, 720p, 480p

*Spanish On-Screen-Display Menu Available

*Automatic Channel Scan & PSIP Update

*Parental Guide & Rating Control

*User Friendly On-Screen Menu

*Electronic Program Guide

*LED Channel Display

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Like he said - the standard resolution of a DVD is 480 x 720. DVD recorders (with or without hard drive) record in this (or lower) resolution.

When I was at a dealer previewing a widescreen TV showing a widescreen DVD I couldn't believe how lousy it looked. Turned out the DVD player was set to "4:3 Television" so the image sent to the TV had black bars at the top and bottom, and the TV was set to zoom the image to get rid of the black bars. So instead of getting 480 vertical pixels I was only seeing about 360. Never trust the dealer to show equipment off to it's best advantage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.